Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Andrey Paramonov <pa...@acdlabs.ru> on 2012/07/03 09:36:03 UTC

[Bug] Should allow to merge into mixed-revision working copy when specifying --ignore-ancestry

If you merge "the old way", i.e. specifying --ignore-ancestry,
Subversion sometimes requires you to update your WC:

svn: E195020: Cannot merge into mixed-revision working copy
[xxxxx:xxxxx]; try updating first

It wasn't the case for 1.6, and thus may be considered a regression.

Current behavior is very annoying when doing multiple merge-commit
operations, especially into large working copy. In such case, I *know*
that I have up-to-date WC after each commit, but I still have to waste
time updating.

Best wishes,
Andrey Paramonov

believed to be clean.

Re: [Bug] Should allow to merge into mixed-revision working copy when specifying --ignore-ancestry

Posted by Andrey Paramonov <pa...@acdlabs.ru>.
On 03.07.2012 13:20, Stefan Sperling wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 03, 2012 at 11:56:47AM +0400, Andrey Paramonov wrote:
>> On 03.07.2012 11:50, Johan Corveleyn wrote:
>>> Try '--allow-mixed-revisions'
>>>

>> Hmmm, svn help merge says:
>>
>>    --allow-mixed-revisions  : Allow merge into mixed-revision working copy.
>>                               Use of this option is not recommended!
>>                               Please run 'svn update' instead.
>>
>> I believe --ignore-ancestry should be enough to disable
>> mixed-revisions check.
>
> --ignore-ancestry (and --notice-ancestry) controls comparison behaviour
> in diff/merge/mergeinfo subcommands. It does not mean "run a merge like
> Subversion 1.4 did".

I believe it's more important that --ignore-ancestry disables *write* of
mergeinfo in this case. So no mergeinfo = no problem with mixed-revision
working copy, right?

> So please use --allow-mixed-revisions. It was added precisely because
> people might want to disable this check for some reason.

Well, that's fair workaround.

Thank you for your work,

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Andrey Paramonov <pa...@acdlabs.ru>.