Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2012/03/27 21:04:34 UTC

Here Comes MXMLC!

Today we finally got the last blocking legal issue resolved and are now hunting down executives to sign the appropriate documents to submit the source code for MXMLC to Apache.  The final signature has to come from a VP who is on vacation this week, but we are going to try to get him to sign from where ever he is.  Yes, there is still some chance of a glitch in the approvals, but it is low probability.

Then, of course, we have to get Apache Infra to do an SVN load of the code with history.  But Carol will probably check in code w/o history into her whiteboard.

There are some things related to this donation that you should be aware of:

1) We were unable to get clearance for any compiler tests.  They were too infested with stuff with incompatible licenses.  So, those interested might want to plan out how to verify compiler changes going forward.

2) CFF Font Embedding is not being donated.  The source code is not under control of the Flex team at Adobe.  This means that you won’t be able to compile
    @font-face(“somefile.ttf”); embedAsCFF:true
For now, you can use the JAR files from a full Adobe Flex release.  You can also use the fontswf utility or Adobe CS products to make a SWF with a CFF font in it and embed from there.  We will try to figure out a better solution later.  We decided not to delay the compiler donation for this issue.

3) We are also watching a discussion on the general@i.a.o list about binary dependencies that will affect the MXMLC –services option.  We will eventually have the code for that when BlazeDS gets donated, but for now, we were going to check in the jar file.  We may need to write the equivalent code for this capability as well until BlazeDS gets in.

Once the code is loaded into SVN, Carol will try to execute the steps of making an Apache release.  I expect it will take several attempts.  And we would like someone else to also try to be a “release manager” as Carol will be unavailable during the week leading up to 360Flex.  But once we think we have it figured out, I think we can open all of the donated source for changes, especially for the compiler if there are folks writing tests for it.  Meanwhile I will be working on getting Mustella donated.  I am trying to find a clever way to get a minimum amount of it donated by 360Flex.  No promises though.

So, please try to reserve some time to participate in the release process, and if interested, in creating a compiler test suite.

Thanks for your patience.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/27/12 12:56 PM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2) CFF Font Embedding is not being donated.  The source code is not under
>> control of the Flex team at Adobe.  This means that you won¹t be able to
>> compile
>>    @font-face(³somefile.ttf²); embedAsCFF:true
>> For now, you can use the JAR files from a full Adobe Flex release.  You
>> can also use the fontswf utility or Adobe CS products to make a SWF with a
>> CFF font in it and embed from there.  We will try to figure out a better
>> solution later.  We decided not to delay the compiler donation for this
>> issue.
>>

> Can you please elaborate on this?  Does this mean that it wont be possible
> to compile a font with mxmlc going forward?
No, just CFF fonts from source font files.  You can get the Adobe fontswf
utility and make SWFs to embed CFF fonts.

> And this
> also means that we wont be able to use TLF as well?
If you have a SWF with CFF fonts, you can embed those fonts and use them
with TLF.

> If I understand it correct, your workaround is as follows:
>
> 1.) Use the FontSwf utility (available here:
> http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7f
> 5f.html#WS02f7d8d4857b16776fadeef71269f135e73-8000)
> to convert a single font (.ttf or .otf)  file into a font.swf file
> 2.  Embed the font.swf file into the targeted Flex application.
> 3.  Use the Font as usual in the Flex application
Yup

> More questions:
>
> 1. Do we get the source code for FontSwf? (I am guessing not...)
No.  And we are not donating the binaries either at this time.

> 2. Will it be okay to distribute FontSwf (binary) along with Apache Flex?
No.  Not at this time.

> 3. I see that FontSwf is only for users of the MPL version of the Flex
> SDK.  This clause needs to changed to make it work with Apache Flex, right?
No, not at this time.  We are still working out what are options are for CFF
embedding.

> 4. In the long run, do you think it is possible to wire MXMLC with the
> FontSwf utility internally, so that end users dont have to jump through
> these hoops to embed fonts?
It is possible, but not my favorite solution.

> 5.  You said:
>
>> For now, you can use the JAR files from a full Adobe Flex release.
>>

> What does 'for now' mean?
Until we decide on and implement a permanent solution for CFF embedding.

> I am guessing we dont have the license for the
> JAR file.
That is correct.

This topic is complicated enough that we opted not to delay the compiler
donation because of it.  Yes, it means that you may have to modify your Flex
4 apps to embed CFF fonts until we find the right solution.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
Great news, Alex!  This is a big step forward for sure :-)

I have some questions on the CFF Font embedding issue.

2) CFF Font Embedding is not being donated.  The source code is not under
> control of the Flex team at Adobe.  This means that you won’t be able to
> compile
>    @font-face(“somefile.ttf”); embedAsCFF:true
> For now, you can use the JAR files from a full Adobe Flex release.  You
> can also use the fontswf utility or Adobe CS products to make a SWF with a
> CFF font in it and embed from there.  We will try to figure out a better
> solution later.  We decided not to delay the compiler donation for this
> issue.

Can you please elaborate on this?  Does this mean that it wont be possible
to compile a font with mxmlc going forward?  That is a big deal.  And this
also means that we wont be able to use TLF as well?

If I understand it correct, your workaround is as follows:

1.) Use the FontSwf utility (available here:
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/flex/using/WS2db454920e96a9e51e63e3d11c0bf69084-7f5f.html#WS02f7d8d4857b16776fadeef71269f135e73-8000)
to convert a single font (.ttf or .otf)  file into a font.swf file
2.  Embed the font.swf file into the targeted Flex application.
3.  Use the Font as usual in the Flex application

Please confirm.

5.  You said:

> For now, you can use the JAR files from a full Adobe Flex release.

What does 'for now' mean?  I am guessing we dont have the license for the
JAR file.

Thanks,
Om

RE: Here Comes MXMLC!

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

Posted by Petr Svoboda <wo...@gmail.com>.
woohoo :) great & thanks for ur work!

Re: Flash Player premium features

Posted by Igor Costa <ig...@gmail.com>.
Adobe still doesn't know how to make money with Flash Player and still
struggles to fail attempts, like this one.

Maybe this sound gross for some sensitive people. But this is true. And
this isn't something really new, they wrote that in road map
http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

Fails like Flash Catalyst, LCDS, Cocomo, Flash Player Mobile, etc. Made
many serious people who I know abandon Flash Player in some critical
projects.

Regards
Igor

Posted by Tomislav Pokrajcic <to...@svemir.net>.
ASP.NET frameworks are not transferred to the community, they just
opened the source and applied the Apache license. Microsoft still has to
approve every patch.
Adobe did that with Flex way back in 2008.
AFAIK the problem with Adobe was that it didn't have well established
model (and resources) for accepting community requests and code. Maybe
MS will be able to handle that with more success...
Cheers,

Tomislav

Posted by Thomas Sammons <ts...@sei.cmu.edu>.

Posted by JP Bader <jp...@zavteq.com>.
Hey Mark,

One (actually two) slight correction(s):

'(the only source of revenue from flex for Adobe)'

1) Adobe made money off of consulting
2) Some of us made money off of how bad Adobe consulting was when we
had to go in and fix it.

Regardless, Adobe has made it clear what they are focusing in on for
the Flash player, and it is a very specific industry niche (video
streaming/gaming).  It is growing and should not be ignored, but it
is, IMO, limited in scope.  Flex is, IMHO, more utilitarian, with a
vision to the future that isn't (I hope) limited to games, but
available for any industry, any platform, and possibly (eventually)
any output format.

Adobe is saying they have a huge install base (much, much larger than
any console or browser video game base), and are trying to take
advantage of that.  I'm happy to hear they think they have a plan for
taking advantage of premium plans for making money on advanced
features that we, as Flex developers, may or may not use.  However the
inventor may not always see the greatest potential of their invention.
 Their marketing still is a fiasco, and I am glad I am not in that
department.

That said, glad Adobe made an announcement, but that shouldn't affect
us as Apache.

Cheers,

JP Bader
Principal
Zavteq, Inc.
@lordB8r | jp@zavteq.com
608.692.2468

RE: Flash Player premium features

Posted by Mark Fuqua <ma...@availdata.com>.
Sorry, you're correct...Flex specifically and the Flash Platform as a whole, were hemorrhaging money...with no end in sight.

> They did it in a stupid, shoot yourself in the foot (and our feet too)
> way, but they really had little choice.  They were hemorrhaging money.

I can't help comment on that - the same November press release that announced restructuring and 750 people laid off celebrated their "record revenue quarter". Adobe as a company is not hemorrhaging money, but particularly the Flex side of the Flash Platform did not fit into their new strategy.

Re: Flash Player premium features

Posted by Peter Elst <pe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Hi Giorgio,

Re: CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/28/12 11:00 AM, "Om" <bi...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I hope the solution we come up with will work for Falcon as well.
>>

> We == Adobe?

We == Apache Flex

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.
> I hope the solution we come up with will work for Falcon as well.

We == Adobe?

I am wondering if there is anything at all that Apache Flex can do in terms
of solving this problem.

Re: CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Om <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 4/4/12 9:30 AM, "Martin Heidegger" <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:

> As I search about implementing fonts in haXe i stumbled upon this [1]. I
> have to say hxswfml is easier to read than the fontforge source.
An update:  Adobe is still investigating what it would take to make a set of
JARs available to Apache.

The fontswf utility is only available in the full Adobe Flex SDK.  Someone
would have to have an Adobe license then could create SWFs with fonts in
them that can be embedded into Apache Flex SWFs.

I've been told that DefineFont4 is really just a blog of CFF data, so any
utility that can convert other fonts to CFF has a chance of working.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/hxswfml/source/detail?spec=svn118&r=117

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 29/03/2012 02:20, Alex Harui wrote:
> I'm still trying to make sure I understand both the technical and legal
> issues.  I see specs for CFF and DefineFont4, but there are rumors that the
> conversion is currently done via proprietary algorithms.  If we (Apache
> Flex) just write our own, there may be a quality issue.

Converting <any-font-format> to <otf> is not properly defined, as far as
I know. Also: the various
font formats have different capabilities and not all cases are 100%
clear. That means that any
algorithm will work slightly different. Additionally: If Adobe
"improved" the algorithms to a
a non-straight conversion but flash focused conversion then that's
hidden knowledge (nowhere
documented etc.). I do not see the effort to try to reverse engineer the
algorithm as appropriate.
May the new version be Apache Flexy.

yours
Martin.

CFF Font Embedding (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
Hello Oleg,

the main difficulty is that its not Open Source. We can not deploy it,
having no "font tool" out
of the box well ... sucks.

Aside from that. I checked swfmill, its haXe pendant and a few other
open source projects
but they all just support DefineFont3 (not cff). As far as I can tell
cff = Microsoft OpenType
content. So: Basically any tool provided would need to transform
<inputfont> to <opentype>
and add it to the swf.

yours
Martin.

PS.: You can try to redesign the compiler as much as you want :) I for
my part wait for Falcon.

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

RE: Testing MXMLC (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by "Michael A. Labriola" <la...@digitalprimates.net>.
>I'm not well-versed on exactly how the compiler folks were doing there testing, but in a tests folder we could not donate, it appeared that there were several small source files, but it appeared that they all came >from Tamarin, so we cannot take them at Apache.

Ah, I bet I know what they were doing.

Take a look here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Tamarin/Tamarin_Acceptance_Testing

and in particular here:
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Tamarin/Tamarin_Acceptance_Testing/Running_Tamarin_acceptance_tests

They are building with their compiler and running the tamarin acceptance tests. If they pass, it means they generated viable abc for the ActionScript input.

Clever,
Mike

Testing MXMLC (was Re: Here Comes MXMLC!)

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/28/12 1:41 AM, "Martin Heidegger" <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:

> On 28/03/2012 15:39, Alex Harui wrote:
>> I'm not quite sure what you meant by test data, but I don't think we
>> have anything to offer at this time.
> Its a compiler
>
> <take source files> mangle them <output binaries>
>
> I'd assume that a test case, for the I/O exists but judging from your
> answer I guess they were made at
> a different level.
I'm not well-versed on exactly how the compiler folks were doing there
testing, but in a tests folder we could not donate, it appeared that there
were several small source files, but it appeared that they all came from
Tamarin, so we cannot take them at Apache.

BTW, is it sufficient to test the compiler simply by
source->compile->verify-output?  Should junit be involved somehow?

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/27/12 11:18 PM, "Martin Heidegger" <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> wrote:

> Would it be possible to sort out test data at least? Like: sourcefolder
> + expected swf without a test system behind that? Having to start from 0
> is really a tremendous amount of work...
I'm not quite sure what you meant by test data, but I don't think we have
anything to offer at this time.

> That is a problem, possibly a release-breaker. Luckily the ByteCode for
> DefineFont4 seems rather simple - just requires a <font> to OpenType
> converter. FontForge[1] seems to offer conversion mechanisms, its BSD
> licensed and cross platform, worth looking into?!
Yup, worth looking into.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

Re: Here Comes MXMLC!

Posted by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at>.
On 28/03/2012 04:04, Alex Harui wrote:
> Today we finally got the last blocking legal issue resolved and are now hunting down executives to sign the appropriate documents to submit the source code for MXMLC to Apache.  The final signature has to come from a VP who is on vacation this week, but we are going to try to get him to sign from where ever he is.  Yes, there is still some chance of a glitch in the approvals, but it is low probability.
>
> Then, of course, we have to get Apache Infra to do an SVN load of the code with history.  But Carol will probably check in code w/o history into her whiteboard

Sounds like a plan!

[1] http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/generate.html