Posted to user@struts.apache.org by mlevin <ma...@harvard.edu> on 2009/07/02 19:41:28 UTC

Getting OPTGROUP items to appear in the right order within a larger top-level SELECT list

** Many apologies if this goes through twice -- I posted a few hours ago and
didn't see my own post show up yet **

Hi folks,

I'm having some trouble getting my SELECT menu to appear the way I want it
in a new Struts 2 project.

What I want is something like this:

Apple
Banana
Cookies
     Chocolate Chip
     Oatmeal
     Peanut Butter
Drinks
     Coke
     Sprite
Falafel
Gumdrops

In my code I have something like this:

<s:select name="choices" list="topLevelList" size="11" multiple="true">
     <s:optgroup label="Cookies" list="cookieList"/>
     <s:optgroup label="Drinks" list="drinkList"/>
</s:select>

topLevelList contains Apple, Banana, Falafel, Gumdrops
cookieList contains Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Peanut Butter
drinkList contains Coke, Sprite

But Struts is putting the OPTGROUP items at the end, so the list comes out
like:

Apple
Banana
Falafel
Gumdrops
Cookies
     Chocolate Chip
     Oatmeal
     Peanut Butter
Drinks
     Coke
     Sprite

How can I get it to put the OPTGROUP things in the middle so I can keep my
list in the order I want? I want to intersperse some OPTGROUP choices within
a larger list of top-level choices.

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks!

Re: Getting OPTGROUP items to appear in the right order within a larger top-level SELECT list

Posted by Oscar Alvarez <oi...@gmail.com>.
Have you try to put lists in lists???

may be it works...

another way can be if you put every item as a s:optgroup

HTH

2009/7/2 mlevin <ma...@harvard.edu>

> ** Many apologies if this goes through twice -- I posted a few hours ago
> and
> didn't see my own post show up yet **
>
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm having some trouble getting my SELECT menu to appear the way I want it
> in a new Struts 2 project.
>
> What I want is something like this:
>
> Apple
> Banana
> Cookies
>     Chocolate Chip
>     Oatmeal
>     Peanut Butter
> Drinks
>     Coke
>     Sprite
> Falafel
> Gumdrops
>
> In my code I have something like this:
>
> <s:select name="choices" list="topLevelList" size="11" multiple="true">
>     <s:optgroup label="Cookies" list="cookieList"/>
>     <s:optgroup label="Drinks" list="drinkList"/>
> </s:select>
>
> topLevelList contains Apple, Banana, Falafel, Gumdrops
> cookieList contains Chocolate Chip, Oatmeal, Peanut Butter
> drinkList contains Coke, Sprite
>
> But Struts is putting the OPTGROUP items at the end, so the list comes out
> like:
>
> Apple
> Banana
> Falafel
> Gumdrops
> Cookies
>     Chocolate Chip
>     Oatmeal
>     Peanut Butter
> Drinks
>     Coke
>     Sprite
>
> How can I get it to put the OPTGROUP things in the middle so I can keep my
> list in the order I want? I want to intersperse some OPTGROUP choices
> within
> a larger list of top-level choices.
>
> Is there any way to do this?
>
> Thanks!