Posted to dev@airavata.apache.org by "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <go...@indiana.edu> on 2016/04/22 08:30:35 UTC

Excessive instances (vms) created on Jetstream

Hi all,

I just noticed that there have been a lot of machines been created on Jetstream cloud. The name of the machines (AiravataTest) hint that they might have been created via Junit tests that were written to test the OpenStack implementation, and somehow the machines did not get deleted on termination of the Junit test case.

I haven't counted but there seem to be more than 80 such machines created (~4-5 pages with 20 machines listed on each). Earlier in the evening as well there were around 20-30 such machines created which I had deleted. These instances are of size "m1.large" and some "m1.medium" running for more than 6 hrs.

May be the Junit tests are failing for some reason, but the machines can be deleted via the UI (Horizon).

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

Re: Excessive instances (vms) created on Jetstream

Posted by "Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh" <go...@indiana.edu>.
Oh. Thanks for letting me know that Suresh. I was surprised to see so many machines, but now I get it :-)

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

Hi Gourav,

That rouge script is me. This is intentional. We are trying to load up the cluster and keep all ~15,000 cores busy. I fired up 210 extra large instances from a snapshot. The snapshot "AutoDock Vina Launch at Boot" runs a docking program working through million ligands.

Thanks for noticing these, but no worries, towards end of day I will bring all of them down.

Suresh

On Apr 22, 2016, at 2:49 AM, Shenoy, Gourav Ganesh <go...@indiana.edu>> wrote:

Sorry for oversight, the name of the machines created is "ApacheAiravata". So it might not be due to Junit test failure, but some script using the OpenStack client that does not delete machines. And each machine created also has a floating (public IP) associated, so there are plenty generated in the pool.

Thanks and Regards,
Gourav Shenoy

Posted by Suresh Marru <sm...@apache.org>.
Hi Gourav,