Posted to dev@ambari.apache.org by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM> on 2014/08/06 16:01:14 UTC

is there a good reason we don't just use github?

Hey,

I'm new, so apologies if this has been discussed to death.  Is there a reason we don't just use github for doing code submissions/review?  The pull-request model is so much nicer than adding patches to JIRA and manually creating Review Board reviews and then linking them together.  Github can even add callbacks to automatically update the JIRA tickets when pull-requests are merged, etc.  The code's already there on github anyway, so people kind of expect to be able to submit pull-requests in a modern fashion. You can still limit core committers by only giving commit access to specific people.  And people then get credit for their contributions as well, where the current procedure gives credit only to the committer.

The current procedure is a pretty big barrier to entry for new contributors who would rather just focus on the code, and for people who would like to get credit for their work.

Greg

Re: is there a good reason we don't just use github?

Posted by jun aoki <ju...@gmail.com>.
+1 to Greg's suggestion, it would be also nice to see issues are tracked by
Github instead of Apache Jira.

--
-jun

Re: is there a good reason we don't just use github?

Posted by Greg Hill <gr...@RACKSPACE.COM>.

Posted by Yusaku Sako <yu...@hortonworks.com>.
Hi Greg,

That is an interesting question, and no, this has not been previously
discussed on the Ambari mailing lists.
Apache Git and Github integration is a relatively new feature (see
[1]) and we haven't really looked into it so far, but it might be
nicer to be able to make pull requests on Github, etc., in a more
convenient, modern fashion.

> You can still limit core committers by only giving commit access to specific people.
Even with the integration enabled, Ambari on Github will remain just a
mirror, so yes, committers would remain only ones who can commit.
However, we would be able to link pull requests to Ambari JIRAs per [1].

> And people then get credit for their contributions as well, where the current procedure gives credit only to the committer.

As far as non-committers getting credit for their contributions,
that's always been the case.  They do get credit on Ambari JIRAs
(being the assignee of a JIRA marked "Fixed") as well as in the commit
log.
Do you mean the code contributions being reflected in the
contributors' Github profile and such?

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/infra/entry/improved_integration_between_apache_and

Yusaku

--