Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org> on 2003/10/21 18:53:14 UTC

Proposal: Sponsor becomes Mentor

The name "Sponsoring Entity" is wierd, and the more I think of it, the
more it seems artificial.

What we need is something that sponsors the project, and will accept it,
and someone that mentors the project, which are 2 concepts, not 3 as now.

Hence I propose that we have:

  - Sponsor: the Apache entity (PMC) that sponsors the project
             and that will recieve it upon succesfull incuabtion.
  - Mentor:  the Apache member or Sponsor PMC member that will
             assist in incubation. He will become part of the
             Incubator PMC.

In this way we ensure that the currently defined Sponsor follows the
project and that the Mentor is always pre-proposed by the candidate (so
we don't need go hinting for it).

What do you think?

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

RE: Proposal: Sponsor becomes Mentor

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> > The name "Sponsoring Entity" is wierd, and the more I think of it, the
> > more it seems artificial.
>
> > What we need is something that sponsors the project, and will accept
> > it, and someone that mentors the project, which are 2 concepts, not 3
> > as now.

> I'm +1 on the terminology and defintions below - but I'm just a little
> confussed on the above comment - 2 versus 3 as now.  What is the third
> role that is implicity dropped?

IIRC, there was Sponsor (a Member), Sponsoring Entity (a PMC) and Mentor (an
Incubator PMC member).

	--- Noel

Re: Proposal: Sponsor becomes Mentor

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@apache.org>.

Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> The name "Sponsoring Entity" is wierd, and the more I think of it, the
> more it seems artificial.
>
> What we need is something that sponsors the project, and will accept
> it, and someone that mentors the project, which are 2 concepts, not 3
> as now.

Nicolas:

I'm +1 on the terminology and defintions below - but I'm just a little
confussed on the above comment - 2 versus 3 as now.  What is the third
role that is implicity dropped?

Steve.

--

Stephen J. McConnell
mailto:mcconnell@apache.org

Re: Proposal: Sponsor becomes Mentor

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 06:53:14PM +0200, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
> Hence I propose that we have:
>
>   - Sponsor: the Apache entity (PMC) that sponsors the project
>              and that will recieve it upon succesfull incuabtion.
>   - Mentor:  the Apache member or Sponsor PMC member that will
>              assist in incubation. He will become part of the
>              Incubator PMC.
>
> In this way we ensure that the currently defined Sponsor follows the
> project and that the Mentor is always pre-proposed by the candidate (so
> we don't need go hinting for it).
>
> What do you think?

Sounds good to me. (with the caveat that you already took about projects
sponsored by the Board, who are (typically) going to exit into a new PMC)

Note: I'm not the Mentor for Geronimo (which I saw on your example site).
Jim Jagielski is. I participated in the launch, and particularly in terms
of the "public face" for the ASF, but I'm not tightly involved with the
project.

Cheers,
-g

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/

Re: Proposal: Sponsor becomes Mentor

Posted by Tetsuya Kitahata <te...@apache.org>.
Ahhh....

What I would like to have seen was
not
  * Sponsor
  * Shepherd
styled category of entities, but
  * Mentor
  * Coach (Coacher?)
styled category of entities.

Horay! That's "incubation". :-)

-- Tetsuya <te...@apache.org> ---

P.S. I have not been able to interpret "podling"
into japanese yet, by the way. :-)

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:53:14 +0200
(Subject: Proposal: Sponsor becomes Mentor)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
>   - Sponsor: the Apache entity (PMC) that sponsors the project
>              and that will recieve it upon succesfull incuabtion.

This doesn't work in the case where there is no such PMC (e.g., the project
will be a TLP), or when the final destination has not be decided.  It
pre-supposes a destination as a requirement for entry.  Remove the second
clause and its fine, but that may not satisfy other parts of the document.

	--- Noel