Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mike Z <ta...@spamcop.net> on 2006/02/10 21:21:54 UTC

[users@httpd] Rewriting HTTP_HOST to directories

Good afternoon,

    After reading through the mod_rewrite and rewrite guide docs and
tinkering with things a bit, I have to admit I'm still in the dark. Here
is what I'm attempting to do:

I'm setting up service to offer domain names to users on a free web
hosting service. Currently, when a user signs up with the free service,
they receive a subdirectory on our site, in the form of
/var/www/html/ourhost.com/user. As doing virtual hosts for all the
potential users is impractical, and the mass virtual hosting can't
translate into this directory structure, I'd like to use a RewriteMap to
translate domains to these directories, e.g.

test.com   /var/www/html/ourhost.com/user

Can someone provide me with a bit of help as to how to accomplish this?

Thank you,

Mike

Re: [users@httpd] Rewriting HTTP_HOST to directories

Posted by Mike Z <ta...@spamcop.net>.
My apologies. To clarify:

The RewriteMap will contain the domain and the user it maps to. If the
user joeblow has test.com, then the map will be:

test.com   joeblow

Thanks.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.