Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> on 2014/04/21 08:27:55 UTC

Nightly Builds from non-ASF Servers

The Apache Flex project currently uses builds.a.o and Jenkins to create
nightly builds.  We are looking into creating a relatively-complex custom
CI setup on external servers with lots of different browsers involved in
automated testing of the nightly builds.

One of our PMC members wants to know if there are any ASF restrictions on
serving nightly-builds from non-ASF servers.

Thanks,
-Alex

Re: Nightly Builds from non-ASF Servers

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sun, Apr 20, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com> wrote:
> The Apache Flex project currently uses builds.a.o and Jenkins to create
> nightly builds.  We are looking into creating a relatively-complex custom
> CI setup on external servers with lots of different browsers involved in
> automated testing of the nightly builds.
>
> One of our PMC members wants to know if there are any ASF restrictions on
> serving nightly-builds from non-ASF servers.

The standard restriction applies: these packages must be for the development
community only, defined as the group of people subscribed to the product dev
list.

    http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html#what

    [...] Do not include any links on the project website that might encourage
    non-developers to download and use nightly builds, snapshots, release
    candidates, or any other similar package.  The only people who are
    supposed to know about such packages are the people following the dev list
    (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the conditions placed on the
    package. [...]

So long as that rule is upheld, outside CI is a welcome contribution and a
great way for companies to contribute resources beyond sponsoring developers.

It is in the interest of the project to diversify contributions of CI
resources just as with developers, but there are no restrictions per se on
that front.

Marvin Humphrey