Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Martin Cooper <ma...@tumbleweed.com> on 2002/08/19 05:31:48 UTC

Coding conventions in Commons

I seem to have unwittingly caused discussion of this subject in multiple
threads now, so I figured that perhaps it should have a thread of its own.

Yesterday, I changed the coding style of the FileUpload project from its
original Turbine style to the Sun conventions. I did that because I
perceived the Commons conventions to be the Sun ones, and because I wanted
to clean up the Checkstyle complaints that were being generated. I certainly
intended no disrespect to the original authors of the code.

Jason has requested that the code be reverted to the Turbine conventions,
since that is where the code originally came from. A couple of people have
stated that the code should not be reverted, because the Sun conventions are
the Commons conventions. Finally, Jason has pointed out that there is no
agreed convention in Commons.

For reference, here are the messages involved so far:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=102967366201849&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=102970211418160&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=102971538626083&w=2
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=jakarta-commons-dev&m=102972335730128&w=2

and here are some Commons references:

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/charter.html#Resources
http://jakarta.apache.org/site/source.html

In the last of these links, the following statement is made regarding coding
conventions:

---------------
All Java Language source code in the repository must be written in
conformance to the "Code Conventions for the Java Programming Language" as
published by Sun, or in conformance with another well-defined convention
specified by the subproject.
---------------

That seems to state that each Jakarta subproject - of which Commons is one -
must define one coding convention for all of its code. That, in turn,
implies that Commons should have one coding convention across all Commons
components. The above also implies that Commons has elected to follow the
Sun conventions, by virtue of the fact that no other well-defined convention
has been adopted.

I want to point out that I am not averse to reverting the changes I made to
FileUpload (although I have a mild personal preference for the Sun
guidelines :). However, in the absence of any agreement to the contrary,
this would appear to violate the statement quoted above.

So that we are all on the same page going forward, then, I think we need to
explicitly state what the coding conventions for Commons are. Either we have
to define a single set of conventions across all components, or we
presumably have to "get permission" for Commons to have divergent sets of
conventions in the same Jakarta subproject.

Comments?

--
Martin Cooper

Re: Coding conventions in Commons

Posted by John Keyes <jb...@mac.com>.
That sounds like the best approach to me.  In CLI we
had the policy of coding standards but not style
standards i.e. we don't care if you put { on new lines
or on the same line, but the method better have javadoc.

I like the POI doc it details this very well.

-John K

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Juozas Baliuka wrote:
> Hi,
> It is very trivial to choose style for me:
> Microsoft recomendations for MFC application.
> Borland   recomendations for VCL component.
> STL style for "pure" C++ code.
> Sun code conventions for the Java.
>
> It is not because they are "good" or I like them, but because  they are
> "well known",
> and I don't think it is some meaning to invent a new one.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: Coding conventions in Commons