Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ulf Lamping <ul...@web.de> on 2007/02/03 21:26:00 UTC

Subversion FAQ still mentions Ethereal, but it's called Wireshark for some time now ...

Hi List!

I'm not sure if this is the right list (couldn't find webmaster or
alike), so I'll just try it here :-)

The subversion FAQ mentions Ethereal at:
http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ethereal

More than half a year ago, the Ethereal project team moved over to the
new name Wireshark:

http://www.wireshark.org/

All development is done in Wireshark now, the Ethereal project is dead
in effect since that time.

Could you update your FAQ page accordingly?

Regards, ULFL  -  Wireshark developer ;-)

P.S: I'm not subscribed to this list. If you have any further question
on this, please send them directly to me ...

Re: Subversion FAQ still mentions Ethereal, but it's called Wireshark for some time now ...

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <ju...@erenkrantz.com>.
On 2/7/07, Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com> wrote:
> project.  If anyone can say for sure what's going on, please let us
> know.  Right now, our FAQ refers to Wireshark; we could update it to

Yah, that's the deal.  If you don't believe me either, Ubuntu has
renamed all of the packages: http://packages.ubuntu.com/.

ethereal
edgy (net): dummy upgrade package for ethereal -> wireshark
0.99.3a-1ubuntu1: amd64 i386 powerpc

wireshark
edgy (net): network traffic analyzer [universe]
0.99.3a-1ubuntu1: amd64 i386 powerpc

HTH.  -- justin

Re: Subversion FAQ still mentions Ethereal, but it's called Wireshark for some time now ...

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net> writes:
> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007, Ulf Lamping wrote:
>
>> Hi List!
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is the right list (couldn't find webmaster or
>> alike), so I'll just try it here :-)
>>

>> The subversion FAQ mentions Ethereal at:
>> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ethereal
>>
>> More than half a year ago, the Ethereal project team moved over to the
>> new name Wireshark:
>>
>> http://www.wireshark.org/
>>
>> All development is done in Wireshark now, the Ethereal project is dead
>> in effect since that time.
>>
>> Could you update your FAQ page accordingly?
>
> http://www.ethereal.com/ was updated two months ago, and still appears
> to be current.  It makes no mention of Wireshark...
>
> Is Wireshark a fork or something?

Note that this page

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethereal_%28software%29

redirects to the Wikipedia Wireshark page.

I don't know what's up with the Ethereal.com web pages (maybe Combs'
old employer still controls those pages or something?), but most of
the evidence does appear to point to Wireshark as the new live
project.  If anyone can say for sure what's going on, please let us
know.  Right now, our FAQ refers to Wireshark; we could update it to
simply describe the controversy, but that would seem like a losing
situation for users who just need a recommendation for a tool.

-Karl

Re: Subversion FAQ still mentions Ethereal, but it's called Wireshark for some time now ...

Posted by Ulf Lamping <ul...@web.de>.
Daniel Rall wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Feb 2007, Mark Phippard wrote:

>>> http://www.ethereal.com/ was updated two months ago, and still appears
>>> to be current.  It makes no mention of Wireshark...
>>>
>>> Is Wireshark a fork or something?
>>>
>> I found this:
>>
>> http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/06/09/1935202
>>
>> Seems odd they would not mention it at all on the ethereal site though.
>>

> I found mention of it in the mailing list archives, but I'd expect to
> see it on the front page, with a HTTP redirect.

Well, you may call it a fork, you may call it an "unfriendly go away".

The project founder Gerald Combs was moving to a new employer. The name
rights / domain name was/are held by it's former employer, which weren't
allowing him to get it with him. So the *complete* developer team moved
to the new name. That's why the owner of the ethereal.com site doesn't
seem to have any motivation to update his page, although doesn't also
have the motivation to take the ethereal project any further.

The community has "long gone" to the new name, compare
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ with e.g.
http://www.wireshark.org/lists/wireshark-dev/ and look for yourself.

Regards, ULFL

Re: Subversion FAQ still mentions Ethereal, but it's called Wireshark for some time now ...

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

Re: Subversion FAQ still mentions Ethereal, but it's called Wireshark for some time now ...

Posted by Daniel Rall <dl...@collab.net>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Ulf Lamping <ul...@web.de> writes:
> Hi List!
>
> I'm not sure if this is the right list (couldn't find webmaster or
> alike), so I'll just try it here :-)
>

> The subversion FAQ mentions Ethereal at:
> http://subversion.tigris.org/faq.html#ethereal
>
> More than half a year ago, the Ethereal project team moved over to the
> new name Wireshark:
>
> http://www.wireshark.org/
>
> All development is done in Wireshark now, the Ethereal project is dead
> in effect since that time.
>
> Could you update your FAQ page accordingly?

Done in r23361, thanks for letting us know.

-Karl