Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by James Carman <ja...@carmanconsulting.com> on 2009/03/19 15:12:29 UTC

Wicket WebBeans Project...

All,

I've run into a problem.  I'd like to start up a project to integrate
the new WebBeans Specification (JSR-299) based on the Apache
OpenWebBeans project
(http://incubator.apache.org/openwebbeans/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/index.html)
in the Apache Incubator.  Unfortunately, there already exists a
project called wicketwebbeans.  It's not an "official" Wicket project,
but I don't want to step on anyone's toes.  What would you folks
suggest here?  The name of the spec is WebBeans, so the name
wicket-webbeans (the packages is javax.webbeans) does fit.  The other
project's actual name is wicketwebbeans, so it's not an exact match,
but it's close enough to cause some confusion.

James

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:43 PM, Dan Syrstad <ds...@ener-j.org> wrote:
> Is that JSR still kicking?

I would think so.  The OpenWebBeans project is active.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Dan Syrstad <ds...@ener-j.org>.
The Wicket Web Beans project (wicketwebbeans) is active, but it has nothing
to do with the Web Beans JSR. Whatever name you choose is fine by me, but
you probably want to prevent confusion. I'd say having two projects or two
jars both with "webbeans" in the name would be confusing.

Is that JSR still kicking?

-Dan

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Martin Grotzke <ma...@javakaffee.de>.
On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:01 -0500, Jeremy Thomerson wrote:
> If the original WWB project isn't active - I don't think it would be a
> problem to take over the name.
>
> If there is a problem with doing that, what about wicket-openwebbeans?
>
> Or, in wicketstuff-core, we have removed the "wicket-" from all names
> because it was redundant.  Make your groupId "org.wicketstuff" and your
> artifactId "webbeans".
Just for consideration: this would create a jar like "webbeans-1.4.jar"
which would be confusing...

Cheers,
Martin

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Jeremy Thomerson
<je...@wickettraining.com> wrote:
> If the original WWB project isn't active - I don't think it would be a
> problem to take over the name.
>
> If there is a problem with doing that, what about wicket-openwebbeans?

OpenWebBeans is the name of the implementation project at Apache.
WebBeans is the name of the spec.  So, I'd rather not be tied to the
implementation.  Ideally, folks could use any implementation.  I just
chose OpenWebBeans because I like Apache! :)

> Or, in wicketstuff-core, we have removed the "wicket-" from all names
> because it was redundant.  Make your groupId "org.wicketstuff" and your
> artifactId "webbeans".

Well, hopefully this makes it into the "core" project at some point
(it should).  The submodules of the core project are still called
wicket-*.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by dtoffe <dt...@yahoo.com.ar>.

Leszek Gawron-2 wrote:

> Is wicketwebbeans project active currently? It looks like it's still
> using wicket 1.3...
>
> --
> Leszek Gawron

    It's active, the project admin has been very busy but there are some
other people interested. There's a plan to release WWB 1.1 (still for W
1.3.x) sometime next week, and starting a port to W 1.4 shortly after, with
a release expected after W 1.4 goes final.

Cheers,

Daniel

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Leszek Gawron <lg...@apache.org> wrote:
> you could call it wicket-jsr299, but that might be a little bit too cryptic
> for some users...

I'd rather not.  If someone wants to know "can I use webbeans with
Wicket?", I think it would be more obvious if they saw a
wicket-webbeans project.

> Is wicketwebbeans project active currently? It looks like it's still using
> wicket 1.3...

I don't know, but it's a pretty popular framework.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@apache.org>.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by nino martinez wael <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1 for wicket-candi :)

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Dan Syrstad <ds...@ener-j.org>.
+1 for wicket-candi !! ;-)

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by James Carman <jc...@carmanconsulting.com>.
I want candi!  I like it.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Jeremy Thomerson <je...@wickettraining.com>.
Awesome!  Now we can have:

groupId: org.apache.wicket
artifactId: wicket-java-contexts-and-dependency-injection

Just think of the convenient package naming:
org.apache.wicket.extensions.java-contexts-and-dependency-injection.foo.bar

:)

--
Jeremy Thomerson
http://www.wickettraining.com

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: Wicket WebBeans Project...

Posted by jWeekend <jw...@cabouge.com>.
James,

That's some coincidence - I just tried to register the same name at Google
code earlier today for the wicketwebbeans folks (they're currently on
SourceForge) in case we want to migrate there because Google code seems to
be more responsive and cleaner.

I've been talking to Dan ad Daniel for a few days as we want to get a 1.1
release out as soon as we can (in the next week or so) that takes care of a
couple of minor but irritating 1.0 bugs.

Then, jWeekend will host live sample apps so more people can see that this
is in fact a very useful little framework and, from my limited experience,
it just works, and saves a lot of tedious code.

My first thoughts are that I'm not sure it's worth the confusion if you take
over that name - Dan would have the final say in that of course and I would
support his decision. It's probably not a bad idea to see what progress is
made on your new project first to see if it will actually materialises and a
1.0 release sees the light of day before taking over the name of an existing
and already released project which I believe could become quite a handy tool
for people once we've made some minor fixes. The next steps for the current
wicketwebbeans project could be to add a few new components and features and
port it to Wicket 1.4; these are the things Dan, Daniel and I have been
looking at.

It'd be interesting to hear what the core devs have to say on the naming
matter as well, as your idea could be seen as part of a strategic plan for
Wicket - and, so could Dan's project.

Regards - Cemal
http://jWeekend.com jWeekend