Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Niniva Ray <ni...@yahoo.com> on 2006/08/05 02:07:59 UTC

Need help in how to display error messages

   Hi,

  I am working on a web application where I am using struts 1.2.9.
  The problem I am encountering is whenever I want to show any messages on the browser, suppose if I want to show the message "Error saving configuration",
  it is displaying ???en_US.Error saving configuration???

  The details of what I have are
  In my struts-config file I have
  <message-resources parameter="com.mng.filemanagement.resources.FileManagementResources" null="false"/>

  I have FileManagementResources.properties file in the com.mng.filemanagement.resources package.

  In this properties file I have the entry,
  error.message.filemanagement.errorsavingconfiguration=Error saving configuration

  In my Action class I have,
  MessageResources messageResources = getResources(request); // request is HttpServletRequest
  ActionMessage error = new ActionMessage(messageResources.getMessage("error.message.filemanagement.errorsavingconfiguration"));
  ActionMessages errors = new ActionMessages();
  errors.add(FileManagementConstants.ERROR_KEY, error); // FileManagementConstants.ERROR_KEY is a string with value error
  addErrors(request, errors);

  In my jsp page I have
  <logic:messagesPresent property="error">
  <bean:write name="message"/><br>
  </logic:messagesPresent>

  This displays ???en_US.Error saving configuration???
  when error happens, instead of Error saving configuration.

  I am supporting only one language English.
  I think I am missing something, could anyone give me some pointers what I am doing wrong?

  Thanks,
  NR

---------------------------------
See the all-new, redesigned Yahoo.com.  Check it out.

Re: Need help in how to display error messages

Posted by Niniva Ray <ni...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Niall,

  Thank you for the suggestion and explanation.
  It worked.

  Thanks,
  Niniva

Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com> wrote:
  The reason this is happening is because (normally) your ActionMessage
contains the key - and then the tag looks up the
actual message (i.e. "resolves the message") - but you're actually
resolving the message yourself in the Action.

Try just creating the ActionMessage with the key:

ActionMessage error =
new ActionMessage("error.message.filemanagement.errorsavingconfiguration");

Niall

Re: Need help in how to display error messages

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
The reason this is happening is because (normally) your ActionMessage
contains the key - and then the <html:messages> tag looks up the