Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by je...@playstation.sony.com on 2005/04/26 22:18:21 UTC

SSL

Tomcat Users,

I have followed the How-To for Jakarta Tomcat SSL and continue to have
some wierdness going on...

Our current SSL cert expired and we get a warning dialog box each time
we try to connect to this server about the expiration.. naturally.

I generated a new cert request utilizing keytool, sent that to verisign,
they returned the cert. Then I created a new keystore file, first
importing a chaincert, then importing the new cert.  When I stop the
server, move the keystore file in place, start the server up, I continue
to get an expiration notice upon https request to the host.  In a
troubleshooting effort, I moved the keystore file, stop/started the
server and *still* get the expired notice upon https request... The
server.xml file' SSL config points to the directory for which I have
located the keystore file too.

Any ideas what may be happening here?

-jrj

Re: SSL

Posted by je...@playstation.sony.com.
I am wondering if the cert gets rolled into a .jar file, and the old
keystore stomps on my new cert upon server startup?

-jrj

Re: SSL

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/05, jejones@playstation.sony.com <je...@playstation.sony.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to look at the contents of the keystore file?
>
> -jrj

keytool -list -v -keystore /path/to/.keystore > allcerts.txt

Should do it if I got the syntax right...

--
Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org

Re: SSL

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 4/27/05, jejones@playstation.sony.com <je...@playstation.sony.com> wrote:
> So I am new, obviously with the keytool use.. attached is the cert.txt
> file resulting from the keytool -list -v.. I changed the CSR data.. but
> the format is there... do you see anything wrong with the file?

Hazarding a guess but it looks like you created the CSR in a different
.keystore and then imported Verisign's certificate into this one as
the tomcat alias should look something like:

Alias name: tomcat
Creation date: Jan 28, 2005
Entry type: keyEntry
Certificate chain length: 4
Certificate[1]:
Owner: CN=XXX, OU=XXX, O=XXXXX, L=XXXXXX, ST=XXXXXX, C=XXXXX
Issuer: CN=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Serial number: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Valid from: Fri Jan 28 00:00:24 GMT 2005 until: Sun Jan 28 00:00:24 GMT 2007
Certificate fingerprints:
	 MD5:  XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
	 SHA1: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Then because that one has a chain length of 4 it has 3 other certs in
the chain, then each of those have their own aliases as well.

Your verisgn cert isn't in any chain and I'm guessing the reason is
because it's not where the CSR was generated from so you either need
to find that .keystore or do another .CSR from this or another new
.keystore and import the trusted cert you receive from that CSR.

The all important part is the .CSR needs to match with the trusted
cert you get back.

Jason Bainbridge wrote:

>On 4/26/05, jejones@playstation.sony.com <je...@playstation.sony.com> wrote:
>

>>Finially, some progress; but not exactly what I wanted... I made the "F"
>>uppercase, stopped/started the server; now it's refusing connections.
>>This is from the log file:
>>
>>Apr 26, 2005 2:19:46 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint
>>acceptSocket
>>SEVERE: Endpoint [SSL:
>>

>when doing these steps:
>
>Import the Chain Certificate into you keystore
>
>keytool -import -alias root -keystore <your_keystore_filename>
>-trustcacerts -file <filename_of_the_chain_certificate>
>
>And finally import your new Certificate (It must be in X509 format):
>
>keytool -import -alias tomcat -keystore <your_keystore_filename>
>-trustcacerts -file <your_certificate_filename>
>
>Did you specify the full path names? I would backup the .keystore and
>then try again by specifying full path names to make sure.
>
>Sounds like you have an incomplete .keystore being used.

Re: SSL

Posted by je...@playstation.sony.com.
I figured out the problem.. when the purchasing folks signed away for
the cert, they did not select "Apache", but accepted the default. "Old
Server Cert", whatever the heck that is... I generated a new CSR, sent
that to verisign, selecting Apache as the cert type, got back the cert,
did the keytool magic, ,and Voila!

Thanks for all the troubleshooting assistance!!

Jeff

Re: SSL

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.

Re: SSL

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/05, jejones@playstation.sony.com <je...@playstation.sony.com> wrote:
> Finially, some progress; but not exactly what I wanted... I made the "F"
> uppercase, stopped/started the server; now it's refusing connections.
> This is from the log file:
>
> Apr 26, 2005 2:19:46 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint
> acceptSocket
> SEVERE: Endpoint [SSL:

when doing these steps:

Import the Chain Certificate into you keystore

keytool -import -alias root -keystore <your_keystore_filename>
-trustcacerts -file <filename_of_the_chain_certificate>

And finally import your new Certificate (It must be in X509 format):

keytool -import -alias tomcat -keystore <your_keystore_filename>
-trustcacerts -file <your_certificate_filename>

Did you specify the full path names? I would backup the .keystore and
then try again by specifying full path names to make sure.

Sounds like you have an incomplete .keystore being used.

--
Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org
Personal Site - http://jasonbainbridge.com

Re: SSL

Posted by je...@playstation.sony.com.
Finially, some progress; but not exactly what I wanted... I made the "F"
uppercase, stopped/started the server; now it's refusing connections.
This is from the log file:

Apr 26, 2005 2:19:46 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint
acceptSocket
SEVERE: Endpoint [SSL:
ServerSocket[addr=0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0,port=0,localport=443]] ignored
exception: java.net.SocketException: SSL handshake
errorjavax.net.ssl.SSLException: No available certificate corresponds to
the SSL cipher suites which are enabled.
java.net.SocketException: SSL handshake errorjavax.net.ssl.SSLException:
No available certificate corresponds to the SSL cipher suites which are
enabled.
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory.acceptSocket(JSSESocketFactory.java:152)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint.acceptSocket(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:371)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.TcpWorkerThread.runIt(PoolTcpEndpoint.java:553)
        at
org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPool.java:666)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)
Apr 26, 2005 2:19:46 PM org.apache.tomcat.util.net.PoolTcpEndpoint
acceptSocket
WARNING: Reinitializing ServerSocket

Thoughts?

Jeff

Re: SSL

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/05, jejones@playstation.sony.com <je...@playstation.sony.com> wrote:
> Actually, I did not start with the old cert. I generated a completely
> new cert, started with the chaincert, then imported the new cert that
> verisign sent back.
>
> This is the connector tect:
>
> <Factory
> className="org.apache.coyote.tomcat4.CoyoteServerSocketFactory"clientAuth="false"
> protocol="TLS" keystorefile="/usr/local/qmetrix/.keystore" keystorePass=

Is that a copy and paste? If so you're going to first want to make
sure there are no sharp instruments around and then change
keystorefile to keystoreFile as it's case sensitive, then restart
Tomcat. With it lower case like that it will still look in the default
location and would expain the behaviour you are seeing.

However if that isn't the case then we have some more digging to do.

Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org
Personal Site - http://jasonbainbridge.com

Re: SSL

Posted by je...@playstation.sony.com.
Sorry, the thawrt sting is in there by error and some extra forward
slashes..

Re: SSL

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.