Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by robyp1 <ro...@hotmail.com> on 2013/07/24 23:43:21 UTC

Memory leak problem in fop

Hi,

i'm a fop user. I have to use an old fop version: 0.20.5 . All works fine
but when there are large pdf size and with a lot pages the cpu memory (task
manager windows 7 or server 2003) increase.. from 200MB to 700Mb that become
> 1Gb at second, third execution. i use jdk 1.6 and i have reserve 1Gb max
memory to Tomcat JVM)
I use Tomcat 7, i update fop to 0.93 and then 0.94, something go better but
memory leak still remain.
I use Eclipse memory Analyze http://www.eclipse.org/mat/ and with fop 0.20.5
i check the problem is maybe fo.flow.Flow or in PageSeqence (see retained
heap of 404...Mb).. i try to get the trunk version at revision  428450
(link:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/xmlgraphics-fop-commits/200608.mbox/%3C20060803165343.47E8C1A981A@eris.apache.org%3E)
but the problem still remain. I upload here a pdf with investigation and txt
about dominator tree (see zip file attachement).
I hope you could me help about investigation and about solution to my
problem.

Thanks

Roby MAT_analizing_fop_on_tomcat.zip
<http://apache-fop.1065347.n5.nabble.com/file/n38918/MAT_analizing_fop_on_tomcat.zip>

Re: Memory leak problem in fop

Posted by robyp1 <ro...@hotmail.com>.
hi,

 its right .. pages are in memory but only during computation, not?.. When
page rendered and the pdf is opened in the browser the memory still remain
large and GC don't clean it!!
Isn't so a memory leak suspect?

I must say that i have an old fop lib and some classes like Driver and
Renderer was deleted but my code using these classes.. I hope that i can use
the last stable version of fop that i will change my code and use
factorization (using Fop class instead Driver ecc )
What i can use instead of Renderer class if i want using a custom Render
(CustomRender implements fop.Renderer)?

old code example:

 Driver driver = new Driver();
  driver.setRenderer(Driver.RENDER_PDF);

 renderer = new CustomRenderer(driver.getRenderer());
    driver.setRenderer(renderer);
..
..
thanks!

Re: Memory leak problem in fop

Posted by Luis Bernardo <lm...@gmail.com>.
Excessive use of memory is not the same as memory leak. The fact is that
some of the things that FOP does need to be done in memory. For instance,
breaking a very long paragraph into lines requires the full paragraph to be
in memory. How many pages are you documents generating and how many
page-sequences do you use? The suggestion is to increase the memory the JVM
can use.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.

Posted by Glenn Adams <gl...@skynav.com>.