Posted to community@apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2003/01/09 22:49:48 UTC

migrating UseModWiki data (was: Do vs. Talk)

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 07:50:35AM -0500, James Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 16:06, Greg Stein wrote:
> > > How viable is it to machine migrate the content?
> >
> > The UseModWiki content isn't in bare text files, so a little bit of
> > work will be needed.
>
> Brilliant!

It doesn't appear to be too hard to extract the data. The developer FAQ's
first question covers this:

    http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?UseModWiki/DeveloperQuestions

A short little Perl script should dump the stuff out quite handily. I can
then import that all into Subversion.

Retaining the change history would be more work, but is possible.
Thankfully, and unlike the problem posed to cvs2svn, UseModWiki changes just
one page at a time, so a history conversion tool would not need to aggregate
commits. It would just sort the changes by time, and then load those into
the SVN repository.

Cheers,
-g

--