Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com> on 2006/03/20 22:01:19 UTC

Migrating geronimo-plugins to M2

We have now reached the stage where we have to migrate the plugins. In
the modules, the same code was used to build both m1 and m2 artifacts.
Unlike the modules, the code in the plugins would have to change as we
create mojos out of them. But the existing code has to be supported
until we have completely 'm2-ized'  our build.

The BIG question :
As we start migrating the plugins, where do we drop them ?

[ ] Option 1: create a new directory for m2 plugins. (eg.
geronimo/m2-plugins). Drop m2 plugins here. In the future, delete
existing geronimo/plugins and rename the m2-plugins to plugins.

[ ] Option 2: drop m2 plugins in the same directories as their m1
counterparts. The m2 code will be in a different package structure.
The m2 artifact will have a different groupid. Ensure different  jars
get built. Live with the harmless possibility of the m1 jar carrying
m2 classes and vice-versa.

[ ] Option 3: ??

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Migrating geronimo-plugins to M2

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/20, Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>:
> I think we will need to support our user oriented m1 plugins for a
> long time as not everyone is going to switch to m2 quickly.  Also we
> need ant versions of these plugins for those that use Ant.

I second that.

> -dain

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating geronimo-plugins to M2

Posted by Dain Sundstrom <da...@iq80.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/21, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> Hmm.. ok. Didn't think others would be doing geronimo builds too. But
> I understand we can't discount that possibility.

Not necessarily. They might be using Geronimo in ways we can't yet
even anticipate and the plugins help to build *their* solutions.

> So, what shall we do with the groupid and artifactid of the m1 plugins
> ? Keep it same ?

I'd not think about it now. Let's convert the plugins to M2 and we'll
Maven it's built and able to work with. So, shorter groupIds -
geronimo - *might* imply it's M1-wise whereas org.apache.geronimo is
M2-wise. In most cases it's true.

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating geronimo-plugins to M2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Hmm.. ok. Didn't think others would be doing geronimo builds too. But
I understand we can't discount that possibility.

Cool. Thanks for your patience Jacek :-)

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/21, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
> Wait a minute ! Wait a minute !

Hi Prasad,

...after a couple of minutes...

> Except for the deployment plugin, who else outside Geronimo uses our
> other plugins ?

I don't know, you don't know, but we can't just stop supporting it
because of our belief noone *might* not be using it. There're many
companies using M1 and don't think they'll be moving to M2 soon, not
that soon.

> Why do we need to support those plugins to run in an
> M1 environment even after we have completely m2-ized our uild ?

There're two different matters - build and runtime. We can build the
plugins with M2, but they will be useable in M1. We could also build
the M2 plugins with M1. What a final product support doesn't relate
how it's built, does it?

> Prasad

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.laskowski.org.pl

Re: Migrating geronimo-plugins to M2

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 21, 2006, at 7:16 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> Sorry if this has been mentioned.  Would it make sense to put out
> an informational message in the M1 plugins announcing deprecation
> so people could consider moving up or at least get them thinking
> about it.

I don't see why this would be a good idea.  If someone is using the
packaging and assembly plugins to construct a custom server, I am not
really interested in telling them they should be using m2 rather than
m1.  I think it will be pretty obvious our position on a desirable
build system when we remove our m1 build: we still need m1 plugins.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Matt Hogstrom wrote:
> Sorry if this has been mentioned.  Would it make sense to put out an
> informational message in the M1 plugins announcing deprecation so people
> could consider moving up or at least get them thinking about it.

This is a good idea.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
On Mar 21, 2006, at 5:25 AM, Prasad Kashyap wrote:

> Wait a minute ! Wait a minute !
>
> Except for the deployment plugin, who else outside Geronimo uses our
> other plugins ? Why do we need to support those plugins to run in an
> M1 environment even after we have completely m2-ized our uild ?

The packaging plugin is currently the only "offline deployer".  The
assembly plugin can be used to construct a customized server
containing your app(s) and just the modules it needs.  While both of
these could use a lot of improvement, we need to support this
functionality on m1, m2, and ant as  well as the command line.  We
need to find a way to use the same code for all of these build
environments.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Wait a minute ! Wait a minute !

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

http://mail.yahoo.com

Re: Migrating geronimo-plugins to M2

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Sisson <jr...@gmail.com>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> 2006/3/20, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:
>

>> As we start migrating the plugins, where do we drop them ?
>>
>> [ ] Option 1: create a new directory for m2 plugins. (eg.
>> geronimo/m2-plugins). Drop m2 plugins here. In the future, delete
>> existing geronimo/plugins and rename the m2-plugins to plugins.
>>
>> [ ] Option 2: drop m2 plugins in the same directories as their m1
>> counterparts. The m2 code will be in a different package structure.
>> The m2 artifact will have a different groupid. Ensure different  jars
>> get built. Live with the harmless possibility of the m1 jar carrying
>> m2 classes and vice-versa.
>>

> [X] Option 3: It's a mixture of Option 1 and Option 2, i.e. create a
> new directory for m2 plugins *and* support them as well as the m1
> plugins. Although it's technically possible to do Option 2, it may not
> be very user- and developer- friendly. Let's keep these two plugin
> flavours separated. I think m2-plugins is good enough to get us
> started.

+1 to Option 3

John

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <el...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/20, Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>:

> As we start migrating the plugins, where do we drop them ?
>
> [ ] Option 1: create a new directory for m2 plugins. (eg.
> geronimo/m2-plugins). Drop m2 plugins here. In the future, delete
> existing geronimo/plugins and rename the m2-plugins to plugins.
>
> [ ] Option 2: drop m2 plugins in the same directories as their m1
> counterparts. The m2 code will be in a different package structure.
> The m2 artifact will have a different groupid. Ensure different  jars
> get built. Live with the harmless possibility of the m1 jar carrying
> m2 classes and vice-versa.

[X] Option 3: It's a mixture of Option 1 and Option 2, i.e. create a
new directory for m2 plugins *and* support them as well as the m1
plugins. Although it's technically possible to do Option 2, it may not
be very user- and developer- friendly. Let's keep these two plugin
flavours separated. I think m2-plugins is good enough to get us
started.

> Prasad

Jacek

--