Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "ir. ing. Jan Dockx" <ja...@mac.com> on 2005/11/08 16:57:04 UTC

(first maven 2 day) unable to download artifact

Just started working with maven 2. I've installed the binary
installation of maven 2, and I'm trying to run

maven eclipse:eclipse

on the freshly checked-out maven 2 main trunk.

I get

============
[INFO] Failed to resolve artifact.

GroupId: org.apache.maven
ArtifactId: maven-model
Version: 2.0.1-SNAPSHOT

   org.apache.maven:maven-model:2.0.1-SNAPSHOT:jar

from the specified remote repositories:
   snapshots (http://snapshots.maven.codehaus.org/maven2)
============

Is this a temporary problem in the repo, or do I have a problem?

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Jan Dockx

PeopleWare NV - Head Office
Cdt.Weynsstraat 85
B-2660 Hoboken
Tel: +32 3 448.33.38
Fax: +32 3 448.32.66

PeopleWare NV - Branch Office Geel
Kleinhoefstraat 5
B-2440 Geel
Tel: +32 14 57.00.90
Fax: +32 14 58.13.25

http://www.peopleware.be/
http://www.mobileware.be/

Re: (first maven 2 day) unable to download artifact

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.
On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 17:48 +0100, ir. ing. Jan Dockx wrote:
> Thanks for the apt ( ;-) ) response.
>
> I already got it built, that's not the issue. I then removed ~/.m2, did
> a clean install of the bin distro, and tried that installation on the
> clean trunk project.

Then you just wiped out the repository where the POMs were installed as
part of the bootstrap. Why did you remove ~/.m2 ?

If you are going to use trunk, you must bootstrap. That places the POMs
in your local repository.

Using the binary distro will use POMs we have released and are available
in the central repository.

> So, as a consequence, you can cannot use the 2.0 bin distro on the
> current trunk itself?

Not generally recommended. I've never actually done it to be honest. I
usually bootstrap a couple times a day.

--
jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason at maven.org
http://maven.apache.org

People develop abstractions by generalizing from concrete examples.
Every attempt to determine the correct abstraction on paper without
actually developing a running system is doomed to failure. No one
is that smart. A framework is a resuable design, so you develop it by
looking at the things it is supposed to be a design of. The more examples
you look at, the more general your framework will be.

  -- Ralph Johnson & Don Roberts, Patterns for Evolving Frameworks

Re: (first maven 2 day) unable to download artifact

Posted by "ir. ing. Jan Dockx" <ja...@mac.com>.
Thanks for the apt ( ;-) ) response.

I already got it built, that's not the issue. I then removed ~/.m2, did
a clean install of the bin distro, and tried that installation on the
clean trunk project.

This is just a request to get my facts straight (I'll be knee deep in
here over the next few weeks):

Is it correct that this fails because:
there is actually no org.apache.maven:maven-model:2.0.1-SNAPSHOT:jar on
any repository -- this artifact-version is only "available" when you
build the trunk yourself?

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@maven.org>.

--
jvz.