Posted to qa@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2018/02/12 22:08:31 UTC

Need HELP! with brute force extraction of TestLink cases...

Hello all--

After working on saving some of our case on the now mostly inaccessible
TestLink instance, I'm sending out a HELP message! Extractions can be done
with a guest account.

If you go to:

http://aootesting.adfinis-sygroup.org/login.php?note=expired

you can apply for a guest account. After that, once you log in, you will
see 2 test "projects" related to Apache OpenOffice -- Apache OpenOffice
testproject (the main one) and, Apache OpenOffice testproject2 (mostly Mac
related).

Currently, I have finished extracting cases through the section entitled --
AOO Calc (220) and am going to start on Fidelity (255). We could use some
additional help on extracting cases in sections past Fidelity -- Drawing,
Impress, Installation, Sidebar, etc.

If you want to help with case extractions, here are further instructions.

1. Choose "Apache OpenOffice testproject", then "Browse Test Cases" from
the left menu, you will see a tree of test cases (toward the bottom of the
page and attached to this message).
Note the total number is 1690. Yes, that's a lot. The number next to each
element in the tree is the number of cases in a given sub-section.

2. Continually expanding each subsection will finally lead to individual
test case descriptions/instructions. Clicking on an individual "case"
brings up the actual text of the case (most of the time) along with a
"Print View" option for each case.

3. Use the Print View option to save each case somewhere on your system.

We will need to discuss further what to do with these  at some point.

And, if you find a better way to do this -- please let us know.

MzK

"Ring out the false, ring in the true."
 -- poem "In Memoriam", Alfred Lord Tennyson

Re: Need HELP! with brute force extraction of TestLink cases...

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 12:11 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> If someone had admin options, we should be able to export ALL cases as
>> XML. However, in order to use them, we'd need to create an XSLT file for
>> them, then go through converting THAT to something, as we do with the
>> Apache OpenOffice biz area.
>>

> A bulk export would still be convenient, so I hope we can get Adfinis to
> pay some attention (but I remember you tried to contact them already).
>
> I'm confused about the final usage. So you are not advocating that we
> simply keep using Testlink (and storing the tests somewhere "just in case",
> as a backup), but you foresee we would have to migrate them to some other
> system, correct?

​
My main goal was to  extract the manual test cases for AOO to continue to
use.

TestLink is a nice environment because it allows for manual testing by QA
folks with a  way to store testing  results, etc. Additionally, it provides
a way to setup the automatic testing, with results also stored there.
I have not read the complete user's guide on TestLink so I am no expert.

My preliminary investigation into how the AOO TestLink instrance  was
established led me to believe that one of the AOO PMC members was in
contact with Adfinis, who "donated" the platform  ( Ic ouldn't fidn any
specific information on this). I don't know who actually installed the
TestLink instance. I do know that some of the IBM QA team administered it
and  ported the manual test cases to it. QA participants were able to apply
for TestLink accounts and report results.

TestLink is useful. But, as others have expressed, setting up and using it
really should be on an ASF platform. And it requires an admin. I think we
could accomplish similar results by porting the manual test cases into BZ
-- probably in category blocks -- and pointing QA volunteers to these test
cases. This would allow for feedback, but the feedback would be in BZ.
​

> Licensing? Hmmm...since nearly all were written by the IBM crew, I just
>> figured we were OK on this aspect.
>>

> Yes, let's keep it out of the picture indeed. Just, it is cleaner under
> all points of view if we manage to get a proper export rather than scraping
> our own site. But if the aim is not to have another Testlink, then this
> "copy" step might be needed anyway.

​OK. My thoughts exactly.
​

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 02/12/2018 03:04 PM, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> Kay Schenk wrote:
>> We will need to discuss further what to do with these  at some point.
>> And, if you find a better way to do this -- please let us know.
>
> If the Adfinis guys were responsive, what would you recommend? I mean,
> if they gave you admin access to Testlink would this solve the problem?
>
> Otherwise it's a lot of work to export everything just to import all
> testcases again somewhere else (and we haven't even touched the
> licensing side). You already did a lot, but if we can get the same in
> one shot by simply having you as a Testlink admin, I would continue to
> investigate that option.
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

If someone had admin options, we should be able to export ALL cases as
XML. However, in order to use them, we'd need to create an XSLT file for
them, then go through converting THAT to something, as we do with the
Apache OpenOffice biz area.

Licensing? Hmmm...since nearly all were written by the IBM crew, I just
figured we were OK on this aspect.

I have more ideas on how to store and use them, but this could come
later. If they were just used as say BZ attachments, would that simplify
the "licensing" aspects?

Re: Need HELP! with brute force extraction of TestLink cases...

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 1:21 PM, Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 02/12/2018 03:07 PM, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>> Wonderful! Thank you!
>>
>> A few other information tidbits.
>>
>> When you save the "Print View" version, you will actually be saving 2
>> files -- the html of the actual test case instructions, and a directory
>> that has just a style sheet in it. At some point we can just delete the
>> style sheet info because the pages render fine without it.
>>
>> In MANY cases, you can not even see the test case instructions unless you
>> use the "Print View" button.
>>
>> On 02/12/2018 02:45 PM, Keith N. McKenna wrote:
>>
>>> Starting Impress/Header and Footer
>>>

> I've finished exporting cases through the "Fidelity" folder. I will move
> on to "AOO Installation". We still need volunteers for the "AOO Writer" and
> "Sidebar" sections.
>
> I do realize the file namings etc might be a mess for a bit. In a few
> days, I hope to work on a script to deal with normalizing our results with
> respect to file names, etc.
>
> Thanks again for looking at this.

​A short update. I am continuing on with the Writer and Sidebar test cases.

I'll be back in touch after that and we can discuss how to organize/use
these manual tests.
​

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.