Posted to builds@apache.org by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de> on 2010/12/02 20:05:23 UTC

No space left on device

Hi,

our last PDFBox build [1] crashed because of insuffient disk space.
Is it possible to free some space, probably other builds are also affected.

TIA
Andreas Lehmkühler

[1] https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/job/PDFBox-trunk/org.apache.pdfbox$pdfbox/207/

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <le...@apache.org>.
Am 02.12.2010 21:17, schrieb Niklas Gustavsson:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 8:05 PM, Andreas Lehmkuehler<an...@lehmi.de>  wrote:
>> our last PDFBox build [1] crashed because of insuffient disk space.
>> Is it possible to free some space, probably other builds are also affected.
>
> Weird, there is plenty of space on all file systems on that slave.
> Where would the test attempt to write the file in question?

I guess somewhere within the following path

/home/hudson/hudson-slave/workspace/PDFBox-trunk/trunk/pdfbox/target/test-output

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <le...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Am 02.12.2010 23:27, schrieb Jukka Zitting:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Jukka Zitting<ju...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Also the Jackrabbit-trunk build failed with an out of space error. It
>> looks like the culprit is the /var/tmp directory, that contains almost
>> 1.7M files! I'm clearing up that directory...
>
> The vast majority of these files are maven-artifactNNN.tmp files most
> likely related to http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3492. I'll set
> up a cronjob to periodically clean up those files until the MNG-3492
> issue gets fixed.
Thanks!!

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Sat, Dec 11, 2010 at 6:28 PM, Andreas Lehmkuehler <le...@apache.org> wrote:
> I'm afraid the issue still exists. The maven build[1] crashed on solaris2
> while the ant build[2] on solaris1 worked like a charm.

Got this today as well. Googled and it might be caused by
fragmentation which should be possible to verify with fsck. But, fsck
doesn't seem to be available on the zone. Gav, would you be able to
help out?

/niklas

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <le...@apache.org>.
Hi,

[1] https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/job/PDFBox-trunk/212/
[2] https://hudson.apache.org/hudson/job/PDFBox-ant/511/

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
On Mon, Dec 6, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> Cool. Well, Kohsuke pretty much described the fix in there. I'm happy to help with it - if you wanted to patch it and confirm a snapshot of maven 2.2 built with that corrects your issue, I can apply and push out a 2.2.2 release with it.

I pretty much agree with your earlier statement, that for us in this
case, this fix is not worth a 2.2.2 release (especially with Jukkas
cron job in place).

If you're going for a 2.2.2 anyways, then it might be worth putting
this in, so perhaps schedule it for 2.2.2 if you ever get there?

/niklas

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 03/12/2010, at 7:08 PM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:30 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> Right, of course... the key part being that it's using the old embedded code. So fixing Maven won't necessarily help because it's probably disconnected from the version being used inside Hudson.
>
> Fixing Maven 2.2.X would help in this case, since Hudson will load any
> 2.X version we tell it to. Just not yet Maven 3, although it's being
> worked on.

Cool. Well, Kohsuke pretty much described the fix in there. I'm happy to help with it - if you wanted to patch it and confirm a snapshot of maven 2.2 built with that corrects your issue, I can apply and push out a 2.2.2 release with it.

- Brett

--
Brett Porter
brett@apache.org

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 03/12/2010, at 10:27 AM, Niklas Gustavsson wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 12:19 AM, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>> When is upgrading to Maven 3 likely to be an option? I think that has already corrected it.
>
> Hudson does not yet support Maven 3, so for now we have to wait. You
> can of course run Maven 3 as a freestyle build, but that takes away
> some of the fun :-)

Right, of course... the key part being that it's using the old embedded code. So fixing Maven won't necessarily help because it's probably disconnected from the version being used inside Hudson.

Sorry for the noise :)

- Brett

--
http://au.linkedin.com/in/brettporter

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
On 03/12/2010, at 9:27 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also the Jackrabbit-trunk build failed with an out of space error. It
>> looks like the culprit is the /var/tmp directory, that contains almost
>> 1.7M files! I'm clearing up that directory...
>
> The vast majority of these files are maven-artifactNNN.tmp files most
> likely related to http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3492. I'll set
> up a cronjob to periodically clean up those files until the MNG-3492
> issue gets fixed.

When is upgrading to Maven 3 likely to be an option? I think that has already corrected it.

We *could* pull a Maven 2.2.2 release for such a simple fix, but since 3.0 went final there haven't been any more plans to do one.

- Brett

Re: No space left on device

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 10:50 PM, Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also the Jackrabbit-trunk build failed with an out of space error. It
> looks like the culprit is the /var/tmp directory, that contains almost
> 1.7M files! I'm clearing up that directory...

The vast majority of these files are maven-artifactNNN.tmp files most
likely related to http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3492. I'll set
up a cronjob to periodically clean up those files until the MNG-3492
issue gets fixed.

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: No space left on device