Posted to marketing@openoffice.apache.org by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com> on 2012/04/25 12:08:53 UTC

[user guides] Cover art for Apache OpenOffice Getting Started guide

We're getting close to having a publishable version of the Getting
Started guide for Apache OpenOffice.

Would anyone like to produce some cover art for this book? Drew?

I quite like some of the flower-based work you did for marketing
purposes. Perhaps some flower theme would work for the GS cover?

--Jean

Re: [user guides] Cover art for Apache OpenOffice Getting Started guide

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Apr 29, 2012 at 04:59, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 3:39 AM, Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Thanks for this! Here are my first reactions...
>>
>> I find the gray background a bit gloomy. The name of the book "Getting
>> Started" is too small and almost gets lost against the gray
>> background.
>>
>> Also, this is one of a series of books; the others have names like
>> Apache OpenOffice Writer Guide, Apache OpenOffice Calc Guide, etc, so
>> this one should be Apache OpenOffice Getting Started guide (Sorry, my
>> earlier note was misleading about the name.)
>>

> That naming convention *might* be a problem.  As I understand it,
> "Getting Started Guide for Apache OpenOffice" is OK, but "The Apache
> OpenOffice Getting Started Guide" would not be.  They latter name
> suggests it is part of Apache OpenOffice.
>
> Compare:  "The Microsoft Office Getting Started Guide for Excel"
> versus "Getting Started with Microsoft Excel"
>
> Generally, avoid using "Apache OpenOffice" as an adjective /modifier
> unless talking about actual Apache release, e..g, Apache OpenOffice
> Calc, etc.
>
> Regards,
>
> -Rob

OK, no problem with name change, which will also certainly help
differentiate these books from any official books, if/when there are
any. I will point out that "The" was never part of the title of any of
the books, but rather something that many (most?) people mentally
add... and so, yes, I can see that could be problematic.

Now to pick a good naming convention for the other books in the series.

Does "Guide to Apache OpenOffice Writer [Calc, Impress, etc]" work?
I'm tempted to call it "Unofficial Guide to Apache OpenOffice Writer"
just to be sure no one gets the wrong idea. Ah, if only "Missing
Manual" were not already trademarked!

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean Weber <je...@gmail.com>.

Re: Pinterest

Posted by Xia Zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
OOps, type error again...:*_*, doom->demo.

Lily

Re: Pinterest

Posted by Kevin Grignon <ke...@gmail.com>.
Nancy,

Pinterest screen caps are interesting.

I'm not familiar with how other software products are using the service, however, I'm assuming the goal is to drive traffic to our site and promote adoption. Perhaps we could align our pinterest screen caps to key features and aspects of our value prop as documented on the wiki.

Thoughts?

Kevin

Re: Pinterest

Re: Pinterest

Posted by Xia Zhao <li...@gmail.com>.
Nancy,

Re: Pinterest

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM, Nancy K <na...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi!
> I attended an hour webinar highlighting the use of Pinterest for businesses - B2C, B2B and also personal.  I learned that in less than a year, this social media format has surpassed youtube, google+, linkedin - and is now number 3 in usage under facebook and twitter (not sure which one of the latter is first).

Interesting.  I didn't know about the business use of Pinterest.   It
does seem popular.

> Terminology - PINS are images that you post on your BOARDS - like you would post picture cards on an office bulletin board.  The thing is that pins can be linked to a landing page, folks can 'REPIN' your pin (with its image and links) to their own Boards.  They can 'like', 'comment', REPIN.

So everything is an image?  No text posts?  No posting web pages?

> I can imagine ways that this could be used - for instance a separate BOARD for Writer,Draw, etc.  Each board could have its own tutorial 'pin' with a link to the respective landing page.  Their could be a board for the history, another for people behind the scenes, the imagination can go on - the webinar suggested using up to 32 boards, but you can have more. Each board displays 5 pins. Look at General Electrics site (pinterest.com/generalelectric)- notice how the images on their boards entice people to look around and create a bold statement (especially the first board). Another idea would be to reward those that contribute to openoffice by placing a 'I helped too' kind of board, people could repin their award on their own boards and their friends could see what they have been up to.

OK.  I see.  The image might just be the main image from a blog post,
or something like that.  But you can link that back to the full blog
post.   So the idea appears to draw the user in with the images.

If I search for "OpenOffice" it looks like there is already a bunch of
stuff there, which is cool:

http://pinterest.com/search/?q=openoffice

> Because this is increasing in popularity, and a great way to spread branding, I suggest reserving the openoffice username even if no one plans to use Pinterest yet.  Starbucks (pinterest.com/starbucks)has reserved their name, but does not use it yet.

OK.  I'll see what I can do.   It looks like it allows multiple
contributors to a single account, so that is good.

> I have just signed up to use pinterest, and have not added anything to my boards yet. I do not know the way to get analytics yet, still reading about it, but the webinar mentioned this is available, as well as tracking keywords that are working for the competitors. So far it is by invitation from another pinterest user to set up an account.
>
> By the way, check out /microsoft - everyone is starting out, it seems.
> Nancy

OK.  Thanks for sharing this information, Nancy!

-Rob

Pinterest

Posted by Michael Acevedo <ve...@gmail.com>.

--