Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Kuckartz <A....@ping.de> on 2003/09/18 13:12:22 UTC

Proposal to remove Xopus from Lenya

Hello Lenya community,

here is a proposal from Lon which I post to the list with his permission. I
think is reasonable and should be considered. It was one result of a private
exchange with him.

> What I really think would be best is if Xopus were removed from
> the Lenya project.
> The OS Xopus project isn't alive. There is no one developing it and I
> don't see a community growing in the future. It is Bitflux Editor
> project that should get the attention and community.
> The last OS version of Xopus (2.0.0.8) really isn't very good. It is
> unstable, slow, buggy and just not production ready. In my opinion one
> should't offer this to a customer.
>
> That is why I think Xopus should not be included in Lenya: it is an
> insult to your users.

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Proposal to remove Xopus from Lenya

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Andreas Kuckartz wrote:

>Hello Lenya community,
>
>here is a proposal from Lon which I post to the list with his permission. I
>think is reasonable and should be considered. It was one result of a private
>exchange with him.
>

>>What I really think would be best is if Xopus were removed from
>>the Lenya project.
>>The OS Xopus project isn't alive. There is no one developing it and I
>>don't see a community growing in the future. It is Bitflux Editor
>>project that should get the attention and community.
>>The last OS version of Xopus (2.0.0.8) really isn't very good. It is
>>unstable, slow, buggy and just not production ready. In my opinion one
>>should't offer this to a customer.

nobody is forcing anyone to offer this to a customer. But the code is
still interesting, even if it's a year old.
And it is working. Maybe some kid in the future will pick it up and
enhance it.

>>That is why I think Xopus should not be included in Lenya: it is an
>>insult to your users.

again, nobody is being forced to use it.

Well, anyway I am +1 to remove the actual Xopus code, but not the interface.

Thanks

Michael