Posted to dev@bigtop.apache.org by James Page <ja...@canonical.com> on 2012/03/23 10:41:39 UTC

Re: bigtop ubuntu build wiki page added

On 23/03/12 04:45, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
> Great stuff! Although it would be really nice to package all the
> dependencies we have to install by hand (even if it is just a
> tarball-in-disguise type of a package)
>
> Also, I'm not quite sure whether there's any kind of tool we can
> use to automatically install all the build-time dependencies.
>
> James, what do you guys use for Ubuntu to automatically pull the
> build-time deps specified in source packages?

This would be quite simple if ALL build-time deps where packaged - but
they are not :-).

For distro development the source package is typically built first and
then the binary packages are build using a tool such as sbuild or
pbuilder (see [0]).

I have experimented with this a bit for bigtop - however the schroots
need to be configured with appropriate JAVA_HOME, JAVA5_HOME and
FORREST_HOME and MAVEN_HOME installs and configurations.

sbuild will look at the build-deps for a package and then install them
before it tries to build the package itself.

There are a few non-schroot options as well - but its less clean in
the fact that you might have conflicting packages or already have some
of them installed.

mk-build-deps does a similar function but without schroot's - it will
create a meta package and install it for all of the build-deps for a
give debian/control file.

I will try to find some time to investigate this in a bit more detail
- - it should be possible to put together some instructions/s script to
get this all setup for people to use.

It would also help me as I generally run the latest development
release - and bigtop currently only builds on 10.04 :-).

Cross posting to -dev.

Cheers

James

[0] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/BuildEnvironment

- --
James Page
Software Engineer, Ubuntu Server Team

Re: bigtop ubuntu build wiki page added

Posted by "David Liu (gmail dev)" <em...@gmail.com>.
While I put together the wiki page, I was trying to make all the steps
automated with the least human intervention, and noting places where human
involvement is needed.

The good thing is that other than devscripts and sun jdk, all the other
packages can be installed silently.
And for JDK, OpenSDK works great and can be installed in silence.

For devscripts, there is a bug outstanding with Unbuntu:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/devscripts/+bug/612566

The other annoying thing about devscripts is that it hangs if you install
it in a window with less than 43 lines, as the curse-based interface
doesn't fit. We can make this easier by opening an xterm with the
specified window size, I guess, it could be a problem with pbuild if we
try to create the 'super-package'.

So, for now, we can try just make the devscripts install the manual first
step or the last step until the bug is addressed, and automate the most we
can with least manual steps.

Another way is to create custom Amazon AMIs with all the dependencies we
need.

Regards,
David

I tried a bit with automating the whole thing with some response file.

Posted by "David Liu (gmail dev)" <em...@gmail.com>.