Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> on 2004/05/27 10:36:28 UTC

SVN and Certificates

As Cocoon will move to SVN soon, I tried to work with the latest
Subclipse client. Unfortunatly I always get an error:

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/repos/test/cz/new'
svn: OPTIONS of '/repos/test/cz/new': Server certificate verification
failed: issuer is not trusted (https://svn.apache.org)

Subclipse doesn't offer the possibility to accept untrusted certificates
like command-line SVN or TortoiseSVN does. A workaround is using one of
the mentioned tools and accept the certificate permanently. But this
can't be a final solution, IMO.

Are there any plans to setup a valid certificate for svn.apache.org?

--
Reinhard

Re: [OT] SVN and Certificates

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Leszek Gawron wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> Subclipse doesn't offer the possibility to accept untrusted
>> certificates like command-line SVN or TortoiseSVN does. A workaround
>> is using one of the mentioned tools and accept the certificate
>> permanently. But this can't be a final solution, IMO.
>
> Do you know what is subclipse's stability?

Don't know, for some simple tests it worked.

> Still there is no version for svn 1.0 (it is compiled against 0.37
> AFAIU).
>     leszek

The most recent builds are hidden in the depth of the menus. See
http://subclipse.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=0
where you should find version with support for Subversion 1.0 and
diverent Eclipse versions.

A will keep http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=SubversionMigration
up-to-date.

--
Reinhard

[OT] SVN and Certificates

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Subclipse doesn't offer the possibility to accept untrusted certificates
> like command-line SVN or TortoiseSVN does. A workaround is using one of
> the mentioned tools and accept the certificate permanently. But this
> can't be a final solution, IMO.
Do you know what is subclipse's stability? Still there is no version for

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.
Brian W. Fitzpatrick wrote:
> Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>
> > This misery is probably partly my own (not being an SVN expert, and SVN has
> > yet to mature)
>
> I'm going to take issue with this. :-)
>
> It's *mostly* due to the fact that Subclipse still needs a lot of work.

Me too. The command-line client is brilliant.
And with the SVN Book so handy, what more could one want.

--David

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by David Crossley <cr...@apache.org>.

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
> On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 09:52, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>
> > This misery is probably partly my own (not being an SVN expert, and SVN
has
> > yet to mature)
>
> I'm going to take issue with this. :-)
>
> It's *mostly* due to the fact that Subclipse still needs a lot of work.

Sure, if Subclipse were there (and had that work you mention) & if it solved
this problem then I'd use it, and be happy. That said, I was forced to give
up on Subclipse, so it doesn't help. :)

The only comment I meant to make about SVN was that it isn't mature enough
to deal with odd 'external factors' (like Eclipse moving directories
containing .svn sub-directories) and with dumb users like me (who've read
the manual scantily at best, and don't have bandwidth to re-join the SVN
mailing list just to ask the occasional question.) Nothing in what SVN does
ought make it want to deal with this mis-use scenario (above), except it is
a fact of this user's life (until I give up on Eclipse, loved 2.x dislike
3.x (over modem), or settle the projects settle down and stop major
refactoring.)

Forgive me for being down on this stuff, I think I've reached my tolerance
point for working over a modem & needs some time off. When SVN works, it
works nicely.

regards,

Adam

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by "Brian W. Fitzpatrick" <fi...@red-bean.com>.
On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 09:52, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:

> This misery is probably partly my own (not being an SVN expert, and SVN has
> yet to mature)

I'm going to take issue with this. :-)

It's *mostly* due to the fact that Subclipse still needs a lot of work.

-Fitz

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com>.
I had this problem (before I gave up on Subclipse, on M7 over modem). I
think the trick is to run svn to this repository on the commandline first,
and manually accept this. Subclipse doesn't complain after that. (I think
this came up on infra@ a month or more ago, but I'm not sure if there is an
archive to help you.)

FWIIW: I now use SVN commandline outside of Eclipse. It is tolerable, most
of the time. If/when I use Eclipse to refactor and packages (directories)
get moved, the .svn sub-directories get moved around, which completely
pisses off SVN. I've tried all sorts of cleanups (including moving dir out,
svn del/svn commit/manually deleting .svn from dir/moving back/svn add/svn
commit) -- and all are painful.

The biggest problem if I just don't notice when I (and Eclipse) are doing
it/causing it, and that SVN tends to punt when confused (and no amount of
svn cleanup/svn add/svn del can cope). I got in such a mess yesterday my
'fix' was to delete the project and re-checkout. Hardly efficient.

This misery is probably partly my own (not being an SVN expert, and SVN has
yet to mature) and partly that I work over a modem (long story). I am told
things work a little better w/ latest Subclipse and M8/M9, but still not
100% reliably. I've not been lucky enough to get a download to try.

regards,

Adam

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.
Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org> writes:

> Pier Fumagalli wrote:
> >
> > Did you actually manage to get SubEclipse working???????? :-P What
> > platform (keeps crashing my Eclipse M8 on MacOS/X)

AFAIK it won't work with Eclipse 3.0M8 for now. There where some
incompatible changes in the Eclipse Team API and the SubEclipse
waits until those changes are better documenented.

> I used Eclipse 2.1.2 under Win2k. IIRC this plugin only works for
> Win2k at the moment.

I got it compiled and running on Linux/Eclipse 2.1.3 using the command line
 interface. Don't remember the exact steps :-(. Seems a little bit slow
compared to the svn commmand line client.

Martin

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by Leszek Gawron <lg...@mobilebox.pl>.
Pier Fumagalli wrote:

> On 27 May 2004, at 09:36, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>

>> As Cocoon will move to SVN soon, I tried to work with the latest
>> Subclipse client. Unfortunatly I always get an error:
>>
>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/repos/test/cz/new'
>> svn: OPTIONS of '/repos/test/cz/new': Server certificate verification
>> failed: issuer is not trusted (https://svn.apache.org)
>>

>> Subclipse doesn't offer the possibility to accept untrusted
>> certificates like command-line SVN or TortoiseSVN does. A workaround
>> is using one of the mentioned tools and accept the certificate
>> permanently. But this can't be a final solution, IMO.
>>
>> Are there any plans to setup a valid certificate for svn.apache.org?
>

> Did you actually manage to get SubEclipse working???????? :-P What
> platform (keeps crashing my Eclipse M8 on MacOS/X)
I saw it working on Win32 (Eclipse M7 I think).
	lg

--
Leszek Gawron                                             lgawron@mobilebox.pl

Re: SVN and Certificates

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.

Re: SVN and Certificates

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@apache.org>.
Upayavira wrote:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>

>> As Cocoon will move to SVN soon, I tried to work with the latest
>> Subclipse client. Unfortunatly I always get an error:
>>
>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>> svn: OPTIONS request failed on '/repos/test/cz/new'
>> svn: OPTIONS of '/repos/test/cz/new': Server certificate verification
>> failed: issuer is not trusted (https://svn.apache.org)
>>

>> Subclipse doesn't offer the possibility to accept untrusted
>> certificates like command-line SVN or TortoiseSVN does. A workaround
>> is using one of the mentioned tools and accept the certificate
>> permanently. But this can't be a final solution, IMO.
>>

>> Are there any plans to setup a valid certificate for svn.apache.org?
>

> I believe there are plans for a certification server, yes. But there
> may be other ways around it. I'd suggest asking about this on
> infrastructure list.
>
> Regards, Upayavira

The initial mail of this thread was addressed to infrastructure <at>
apache.org.

--
Reinhard

Re: SVN and Certificates