Posted to dev@airflow.apache.org by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com> on 2023/04/30 13:59:42 UTC

[DISCUSS] Preparing for dropping Python 3.7 support

Hello everyone.

Just for everyone to be aware - Python 3.7 life is about to end in ~ 2
months.

I prepared a (draft) PR to drop Python 3.7 support:
https://github.com/apache/airflow/pull/30963 to see what it means and I got
it to a green state rather quickly. I will keep rebasing it (the changes
are rather automated and should be easy to keep up) but you can also see
what kind of  changes dropping Python 3.7 support involves (hint - dropping
some compat code, mostly around async testing).

If you want to review it and make comments - feel free - we have time to
iterate on it

The cut-off date is 27 Jun 2023 - this is when EOL for Python support ends
- it's ~2 months away and I plan - according to our policies - to merge it
right after.

It means that if we do not release Airflow 2.7.0 in the next 2 months (we
likely won't), Airflow 2.7.0 will be released with Python 3.8+ support only
(and all providers released after that will also be Python 3.8+ only). The
default docker image pushed for Airflow 2.7.0 will become Python 3.8+ as
well.

There are no changes for Airflow 2.6 -> the bug-fixes in 2.6 will continue
using 3.7 and default image for all Airflow 2.6.* versions will be Python
3.7.

Side comment - Cannot wait to be able to use the Walrus operator in
Airflow finally :).

J.

Re: [DISCUSS] Preparing for dropping Python 3.7 support

Posted by "Ferruzzi, Dennis" <fe...@amazon.com.INVALID>.
I am the walrus!  :=

Looking forward to it, thanks for the update.

 - ferruzzi

Posted by Kaxil Naik <ka...@gmail.com>.
Let’s do it 🚀

Posted by Jarek Potiuk <ja...@potiuk.com>.