Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> on 2013/03/16 15:27:56 UTC

Maven Core IT failures with Eclipse Aether

Hervé, Olivier,

There are two failures due to the SLF4J Simple changes made which only affect the embedded mode but it's really nice having those clean because they are so much faster. Hervé, maybe these worked for you locally and you still have some more work to do? This I can take a looked into and I'll ask Ceki for a little help here.

The rest of the errors are related to the use of the actual Site and Dependency plugins in the ITs which I don't think is quite right. I have no familiarity with these plugins and I believe you two work on these for the most part. There are direct linkage problems and it's hard for me to tell what it is you're trying to test in the case of the ITs with failures. If you are testing behavior that is general can you please make ITs that don't depend on actual plugins? Or if they are truly to test the site or dependency plugins can you move them to their respective plugins?

If you build from the eclipse-aether branch and run the ITs you'll see the errors. I consistently get the following:

Tests run: 716, Failures: 2, Errors: 5, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 269.409 sec <<< FAILURE!

https://gist.github.com/jvanzyl/5176584

Once those are sorted out then we can move on to the Plugin ITs and see what kind of errors/failures we have there but we need to get past the core ITs first.

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason
and your own common sense.

 -- Buddha

Re: Maven Core IT failures with Eclipse Aether

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
On Mar 30, 2013, at 10:00 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> yes, the ITs will be modified after the m-site-p release, ie just use m-site-p
> 3.3

Cool. Just wanted to make sure.

> I didn't have time for the moment to try m-dependency-p:tree and work on a fix,
> but that will be the same: the IT will just need to use the next version,
> which will be improved to use the new Maven core API
>
> no problem to release now
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le samedi 30 mars 2013 09:38:47 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
>> Hervé,
>>
>> I don't see any adjustment in the ITs for the site/dependency plugin. I'm
>> going to cut the release today if I can so are you fine with the release?
>> If you're fine I'm fine because I haven't tried the site or dependency
>> plugin.
>> On Mar 27, 2013, at 3:10 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:
>>> I just fixed
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-683 /
>>> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHARED-280
>>>
>>> Any tests from others are welcome
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Hervé

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason

>> Jason van Zyl
>> Founder & CTO, Sonatype
>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>>
>> You are never dedicated to something you have complete confidence in.
>> No one is fanatically shouting that the sun is going to rise tomorrow.
>> They know it is going to rise tomorrow. When people are fanatically
>> dedicated to political or religious faiths or any other kind of
>> dogmas or goals, it's always because these dogmas or
>> goals are in doubt.
>>
>>  -- Robert Pirzig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A language that doesn’t affect the way you think about programming is not worth knowing.

 -- Alan Perlis

Re: Maven Core IT failures with Eclipse Aether

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Cool.

On Mar 27, 2013, at 3:10 AM, Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> I just fixed
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-683 /
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSHARED-280
>
> Any tests from others are welcome
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> Le mardi 19 mars 2013 01:49:08 Hervé BOUTEMY a écrit :
>> I just had a look at the failures: they are caused by
>> DefaultMavenReportExecutor using Sonatype Aether ExclusionsDependencyFilter
>> [1] for MavenPluginManager.setupPluginRealm(...) API call [2] which is
>> affected by switching to Eclipse Aether
>>

>> We will need some tweaks in maven-reporting-exec to detect Eclipse Aether,
>> then a new maven-site-plugin version
>>
>> I will create Jira entries tomorrow to track the issue and work on a fix.
>>
>> IMHO, this doesn't require Maven 4.0: 3.1 is really fine for end users
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Hervé
>>

>> [1] http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-reporting-
>> exec/xref/org/apache/maven/reporting/exec/DefaultMavenReportExecutor.html#12
>> 8
>>
>> [2] http://maven.apache.org/shared/maven-reporting-
>> exec/xref/org/apache/maven/reporting/exec/DefaultMavenReportExecutor.html#26
>> 7
>> Le lundi 18 mars 2013 13:29:12 Jason van Zyl a écrit :
>>> In the ITs I have changed the ranges to accommodate these ITs not running
>>> with Eclipse Aether:
>>>
>>> MavenITmng3743ForkWithPluginManagementTest: Site plugin
>>> MavenITmng3703ExecutionProjectWithRelativePathsTest: Site plugin
>>> MavenITmng3684BuildPluginParameterTest: Site plugin
>>> MavenITmng3372DirectInvocationOfPluginsTest: dependency:tree used directly
>>> MavenITmng5019StringBasedCompLookupFromChildPluginRealmTest: Site plugin
>>>
>>> So I would consider this fairly major which is why I'm arguing for 4.0.0.
>>> These may not be trivial things to fix and we probably can't predict when
>>> things like the Site, Dependency, and Shade plugin will be updated.
>>>
>>> The ITs run with these changes and I will proceed to merge the Eclipse
>>> Aether branch into master.

>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Jason

>>> Jason van Zyl
>>> Founder & CTO, Sonatype
>>> Founder,  Apache Maven
>>> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

We all have problems. How we deal with them is a measure of our worth.

 -- Unknown

Re: Maven Core IT failures with Eclipse Aether

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
Hervé,

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
I just fixed

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
fixed, thanks for the report

Regards,

Hervé

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io>.
In the ITs I have changed the ranges to accommodate these ITs not running with Eclipse Aether:

MavenITmng3743ForkWithPluginManagementTest: Site plugin
MavenITmng3703ExecutionProjectWithRelativePathsTest: Site plugin
MavenITmng3684BuildPluginParameterTest: Site plugin
MavenITmng3372DirectInvocationOfPluginsTest: dependency:tree used directly
MavenITmng5019StringBasedCompLookupFromChildPluginRealmTest: Site plugin

So I would consider this fairly major which is why I'm arguing for 4.0.0. These may not be trivial things to fix and we probably can't predict when things like the Site, Dependency, and Shade plugin will be updated.

The ITs run with these changes and I will proceed to merge the Eclipse Aether branch into master.

On Mar 16, 2013, at 7:27 AM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@tesla.io> wrote:

> Hervé, Olivier,
>
> There are two failures due to the SLF4J Simple changes made which only affect the embedded mode but it's really nice having those clean because they are so much faster. Hervé, maybe these worked for you locally and you still have some more work to do? This I can take a looked into and I'll ask Ceki for a little help here.
>
> The rest of the errors are related to the use of the actual Site and Dependency plugins in the ITs which I don't think is quite right. I have no familiarity with these plugins and I believe you two work on these for the most part. There are direct linkage problems and it's hard for me to tell what it is you're trying to test in the case of the ITs with failures. If you are testing behavior that is general can you please make ITs that don't depend on actual plugins? Or if they are truly to test the site or dependency plugins can you move them to their respective plugins?
>
> If you build from the eclipse-aether branch and run the ITs you'll see the errors. I consistently get the following:
>
> Tests run: 716, Failures: 2, Errors: 5, Skipped: 0, Time elapsed: 269.409 sec <<< FAILURE!
>
> https://gist.github.com/jvanzyl/5176584
>
> Once those are sorted out then we can move on to the Plugin ITs and see what kind of errors/failures we have there but we need to get past the core ITs first.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

> Jason van Zyl
> Founder & CTO, Sonatype
> Founder,  Apache Maven
> http://twitter.com/jvanzyl
>
> believe nothing, no matter where you read it,
> or who has said it,
> not even if i have said it,
> unless it agrees with your own reason
> and your own common sense.
>
> -- Buddha

Thanks,

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder & CTO, Sonatype
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

We know what we are, but know not what we may be.

  -- Shakespeare