Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by stephen mulcahy <st...@deri.org> on 2009/09/15 16:41:47 UTC

Hadoop 0.20.1 (a big secret?)

Howdy,

I'm about to install a new hadoop cluster here and I'm wondering which
Hadoop to install.

Looking at http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html suggests its
either 0.19.2 or 0.20.0 but looking in
http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/www.apache.org/dist/hadoop/core/ I see
0.20.1 has been sitting there since 01-Sep-2009.

A quick google suggests Cloudera are going to base their next release on
0.20.1 so I'm taking this as an indication that 0.20.1 is ready for
primetime.

Did I miss the announcement on 0.20.1 or is there some reason why it's
being kept quiet so far (if so, apologies for publicising it ;)?

Thanks,

-stephen

--
Stephen Mulcahy, DI2, Digital Enterprise Research Institute,
NUI Galway, IDA Business Park, Lower Dangan, Galway, Ireland

Re: Hadoop 0.20.1 (a big secret?)

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Sep 15, 2009, at 7:41 AM, stephen mulcahy wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I'm about to install a new hadoop cluster here and I'm wondering
> which Hadoop to install.
>
> Looking at http://hadoop.apache.org/common/releases.html suggests
> its either 0.19.2 or 0.20.0 but looking in http://ftp.heanet.ie/mirrors/www.apache.org/dist/hadoop/core/
>  I see 0.20.1 has been sitting there since 01-Sep-2009.

1 Sep 2009 was when I rolled the release candidate. I pushed the
documentation changes yesterday, so they should be visible today. When
they are visible, I'll send the announcement out. The 0.20.1 release
is looking like a stable release and if I was setting up a cluster,
I'd use it.

-- Owen

Re: Hadoop 0.20.1 (a big secret?)

Posted by CubicDesign <cu...@gmail.com>.
> For new clusters we recommend the 0.20 branch. There will probably be some
> more point releases beyond 0.20.1 down the road, but I would classify 0.20
> as stable enough for production clusters at this point. There may be
> slightly more problems than 0.18.3, but I don't know of any commonly
> occurring issues that are unfixed.

Thanks.

Re: Hadoop 0.20.1 (a big secret?)

Posted by Todd Lipcon <to...@cloudera.com>.
On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 9:20 AM, CubicDesign <cu...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  We're currently working on updating our patch series to include the
>>
> entirety of 0.20.1 and should have that out next week.
>

> Hi.
>
> Do you think that 0.20.1 will be the next stable version (like 0.18.3?)
> We will install Hadoop in a cluster soon (maybe this week). Which version
> do you recommend?

For new clusters we recommend the 0.20 branch. There will probably be some
more point releases beyond 0.20.1 down the road, but I would classify 0.20
as stable enough for production clusters at this point. There may be
slightly more problems than 0.18.3, but I don't know of any commonly
occurring issues that are unfixed.

-Todd

Re: Hadoop 0.20.1 (a big secret?)

Posted by CubicDesign <cu...@gmail.com>.
> We're currently working on updating our patch series to include the
entirety of 0.20.1 and should have that out next week.

Hi.

Do you think that 0.20.1 will be the next stable version (like 0.18.3?)
We will install Hadoop in a cluster soon (maybe this week). Which
version do you recommend?

Regards
B.

Re: Hadoop 0.20.1 (a big secret?)

Posted by Matt Massie <ma...@cloudera.com>.
This may be related to the project split.  When I went to package up 0.20.1,
I realized that the release-0.20.1 tag is not in the hadoop repository but
rather the hadoop-common repository.  Important to know if you want to build
0.20.1 from subversion/git.

-Matt

RE: Hadoop 0.20.1 (a big secret?)

Posted by Andy Sautins <an...@returnpath.net>.