Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by S Arvind <ar...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/24 22:41:49 UTC

tomcat shutdown problem

A wierd problem occur while shutdowning the tomcat 6 in the Fedora and
Centos. Usually i use shell file to shutdown. After shutting down when see
the postgre preocess by  [code]*ps -ef | grep java*[/code] it is still showing

the process as running.

such as

[code]  tomcat   14694     1 72 Apr23 ?        23:44:25
/usr/java/jdk1.5.0_13/jre/bin/java
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=/usr/share/tomcat6/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/conf/logging.properties

-verbose:gc -Xloggc:gc.log -XX:+PrintGCDetails -XX:MaxPermSize=512M
-Xms1024M -Xmx1024M -Djava.awt.headless=true
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=/usr/share/tomcat6/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/endorsed
-classpath :/usr/share/tomcat6/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/bin/bootstrap.jar

-Dcatalina.base=/usr/share/tomcat6/apache-tomcat-6.0.18
-Dcatalina.home=/usr/share/tomcat6/apache-tomcat-6.0.18
-Djava.io.tmpdir=/usr/share/tomcat6/apache-tomcat-6.0.18/temp
org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap start  [/code]

So if i keep repeating the start and shutdown after few cycles it is
completely refusing to start. What might be the source or reason of this
problem? Advance Thanks,

Arvind S

*
"Many of lifes failure are people who did not realize how close they were to

success when they gave up."
-Thomas Edison*

RE: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
usually ps -ef will show you all active processes with
PID(processID)  PPID(parentProcessID)  THR(NumThreads) PR(priortity) NAME

More information is available from the brainiacs at University of Illinois
http://www.math.uiuc.edu/~gfrancis/illimath/windows/aszgard_mini/bin/CommandTools/readme1.txt

Martin Gainty
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work - Thomas Edison
Disclaimer and Confidentiality/Verzicht und Vertraulichkeitanmerkung / Note de déni et de confidentialité
This message is confidential. If you should not be the intended receiver, then we ask politely to report. Each unauthorized forwarding or manufacturing of a copy is inadmissible. This message serves only for the exchange of information and has no legal binding effect. Due to the easy manipulation of emails we cannot take responsibility over the the contents.

http://windowslive.com/online/hotmail?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_more_042009

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.
S Arvind wrote:
> Pid thanks very much. We found the thread from the thread dump. Problem we
> did is we didnt shutdown the quartz scheduler. Now as per ur guidelines in
> the context listener we did that. It currently in testing phase. Thanks..

Good news.  And now you know 2 things: how to diagnose via Thread dumps,
and it only takes one of 200 devs to forget to stop a Thread...

It's possible that the old way you were stopping TC5.x was just killing
the process - so you weren't seeing the error, perhaps if you were using
JSVC via an init script in /etc/init.d/tomcat5 or something.

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by S Arvind <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by S Arvind <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by S Arvind <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by Dan Armbrust <da...@gmail.com>.
> Did you write your application?
>>> there are team of 200 Engineers wrote that application so i dont know
> where the problem is

One (or more) of them made a mistake, and has left a non-daemon thread
running.

You need to find out what thread is running.  One way to do this is to
get a thread dump.

First, ask Tomcat to stop normally.  When it doesn't stop, generate a
thread dump.

kill -QUIT <java-pid>

will tell the JVM to print a thread dump to the console where the JVM
was started - it will probably go into your tomcat/logs/catalina.out
log file unless you have redirected it somewhere else in your
configuration.

Look at what non-daemon threads are running.  Any non-daemon threads
still running will  need to be fixed by one of your 200 Engineers :)

Dan

Re: tomcat shutdown problem

Posted by S Arvind <ar...@gmail.com>.

Re: tomcat shutdown problem