Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by "W.P. McNeill" <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/09/01 01:48:39 UTC

Does Hadoop 0.20.203.0 support *.deflate decompression in fs -text?

I'm running Hadoop 0.20.203.0 with the default io.compression.codec value.
 When I try to do "hadoop fs -text" on a "*.deflate" file on HDFS it prints
garbage to STDOUT. Presumably the file is not being decompressed.

Is this version of Hadoop supposed to automatically decompress *.deflate
files? The impression I got from HADOOP-6714 "FsShell 'hadoop fs -text' does
not support compression
codecs"<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6714> is
that this has been resolved for the version I am running.