Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/04/05 11:22:49 UTC

Feedback: Release Management of Apache NetBeans (incubating) 11.0

Dear all,

I would like to thank you to be able to be the Release Manager of Apache
NetBeans 11.0!

Thank you all, who contributed in this release either by code,
documentation, advice, or shared opinion!

This cycle started a bit sleepy, either due to the new year's duties or
due to the exhaustion from over-carrying the 10.0 release. After we were
over the shock everything started to shape up nicely by end of February.

As a release manager I found it a good practice not to do a release to
staging for every vote candidate we made and we could use the artifacts
from Jenkins directly. I still hope that it did not cause any trouble
for the Apache Infrastructure. I'd keep that for the future releases as
well.

I'm still not fond of the vote candidate name. The release actually
matured nicely vc1 - alpha, vc2 - beta 1, vc3- beta 2 and vc4 is an rc1
quality. If I were not traveling through the world just at the end of
our cycle, I would have cut a vc5 as well to address the minor
non-technical concerns were found out during the voting cycle.

Some Numbers:

In this release we were resolving ~64 issues. 38 bugs, 13 improvement,
13 tasks

The release process right now consists of ~30 steps (two steps more than
10.0), about the half of these steps requires changes in the release
branch. This sets our limit to about four releases in a year, which is
not bad, but we have that limit.

I hope, I was documenting our work well enough, to make the job of the
next Release Manager easier.

This was a though, but wonderful journey! Thank you everyone for their
work and support!

Laszlo Kishalmi

Volunteer Release Manager of Apache NetBeans 11.0

P.S.: Constructive feedback on the process and on my work are , as
always, welcome!

Re: Feedback: Release Management of Apache NetBeans (incubating) 11.0

Posted by Josh Juneau <ju...@gmail.com>.
Great job, as always, Laszlo!

Josh Juneau
juneau001@gmail.com
http://jj-blogger.blogspot.com
https://www.apress.com/index.php/author/author/view/id/1866

Posted by Pete Whelpton <pe...@gmail.com>.
Thank you very much Laszlo!  Really appreciated!

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Junichi Yamamoto <ju...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tushar Joshi <tu...@gmail.com>.
Thank you Laszlo, for the job done very well.  You have set a god example
for this process.

with regards
    Tushar

Tushar Joshi, Nagpur: http://www.tusharjoshi.com

* MCSD_NET C#, SCJP, RHCE, ZCE, PMP, CSM, SAFe, PRINCE2

* Senior Architect @ Persistent Systems http://www.persistent.com
* LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/tusharvjoshi

Posted by Eirik Bakke <eb...@ultorg.com>.

Posted by Antonio <an...@vieiro.net>.