Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2010/11/30 01:10:38 UTC

Discuss: CXFServlet and spring ApplicationContext

I am currently trying to dig deeper into the http transport.

One part of the code that I really don´t like is the CXFServlet. If I
understand correctly it is being used when you want to have a servlet
transport together with a spring application context.
In the documentation (http://cxf.apache.org/docs/servlet-transport.html)
there are two ways to use it:

You can either use ContextLoaderListener from spring or let it pull up a
new context.

I don´t know if it is only because of the second option but there is
some really ugly code in there to find or pull up an application context
and work directly with it.
So my point is that we should let spring do this. Can´t we just let
spring inject whatever we need?

Best regards

Christian

--
----
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Re: Discuss: CXFServlet and spring ApplicationContext

Posted by Sergey Beryozkin <sb...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 12:16 AM, Christian Schneider <
chris@die-schneider.net> wrote:

> One thing I found is the spring DispatcherServlet:
>
> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/api/org/springframework/web/servlet/DispatcherServlet.html
>
> Could we simply use this servlet to route requests to our services and have
> no own servlet at all?

CXFServlet lets us customize the way requests are dealt with. Example, it
can be configured to route the requests to other destinations.

cheers, Sergey

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
On Monday 29 November 2010 7:16:25 pm Christian Schneider wrote:
> One thing I found is the spring DispatcherServlet:
> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/2.5.x/api/org/springframework/we
> b/servlet/DispatcherServlet.html
>
> Could we simply use this servlet to route requests to our services and
> have no own servlet at all? Spring uses this for their own remoting
> protocols.

We COULD, yes.  But we would still need to provide a Servlet or similar for
all the people that don't use Spring.    Thus, it doesn't change much.   :-)

Dan

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: Discuss: CXFServlet and spring ApplicationContext

Posted by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>.

--
----

Posted by Craig Tataryn <cr...@tataryn.net>.
Actually it's used when you want to have web services reside within a Servlet container. It might be Spring aware, but should be Spring neutral. (AFAIK)

Craig.