Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Abdelhamid ABID <ae...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/21 21:08:41 UTC

Re: Configuring RequestHandler in solrconfig.xml OR in the Servlet code using SolrJ

Why would someone port the solr config into servlet code  ?
IMO the first option would be the best choice, one obvious reason is that,
when alter the solr config you only need to restart the server, whereas
changing in the source drive you to redeploy your app and restart the
server.

--
Abdelhamid ABID
Software Engineer- J2EE / WEB

Re: Configuring RequestHandler in solrconfig.xml OR in the Servlet code using SolrJ

Posted by Sven Maurmann <sv...@kippdata.de>.
Hi,

there are reasons for both options. Usually it is a good idea to put the
default
configuration into the solrconfig.xml (and even fix some of the
configuration) in
order to have simple client-side code.

But sometimesit is necessary to have some flexibility for the actual query.
In this
situation one would use the client-side approach. If done right, this does
not mean
to put the parameters in the servlet code.

Cheers,
     Sven

--On Dienstag, 22. Juni 2010 17:52 +0200 "Jan Høydahl / Cominvent"

Posted by Jan Høydahl / Cominvent <ja...@cominvent.com>.
Hi,

Sometimes I do both. I put the defaults in solrconfig.xml and thus have one place to define all kind of low-level default settings.

But then I make a possibility in the application space to add/override any parameters as well. This gives you great flexibility to let server administrators (with access to solrconfig.xml) tune low level stuff, but also gives programmers a middle layer to put domain-space config instead of locking it down on the search node or up in the web interfaces.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect

Posted by Saïd Radhouani <r....@gmail.com>.