Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peng Tuck Kwok <pe...@makmal.net> on 2002/12/03 05:09:42 UTC

Datasource and Web.xml

If a web application uses a jndi datasource, should the web.xml contain
the definition for the datasource before deployment (that is in the war
file) or after deployment (that is after the war file has been deployed)
? This sounds strange as I was having problems with this in tomcat
4.1.12 , where Tomcat could not start if the there was a resource
definition in the web.xml. Of course I can't create a resource for the
context using the admin interface since the context doesn't exist yet.
I've used Sun one server and all seems ok so what is the correct
sequence for doing things in tomcat?

Re: SocketException

Posted by maninder s batth <an...@netscape.net>.
netstat -a -p should do it , if you are from unix world.download nmap
for windows . that will give you process and port information
just use keywords nmap for windows in google and ull get it

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: SocketException

Re: SocketException

Posted by Paul Campbell <se...@halcyon.com>.

SocketException

Re: Datasource and Web.xml

Posted by Peng Tuck Kwok <pe...@makmal.net>.
Thanks craig. I'll look up the ResourceLink element.

Reading wanted.

Posted by Triptpal Singh Lamba <tr...@cs.sunysb.edu>.
Hi all.

Can someone direct me to the following two things please...

1. The most exhaustive online, free resource for Tomcat documentation
2. Whats the best newsletter to keep in touch with the J2EE World updates.
Like we have  IEEE software for SE, Dr Dobb blah blah, but whats  a good one
for j2ee in general. I tried google but there are so many results I dont
know what to do:)

Btw ,bless the soul of the man who suggested Eclipse. It rocks! I used VA fo
Java 3.5 last time I did a project , buthad to make do with Jbuilder till
eclipse came along.  I didnt find a fav. feature I like din editors --the
ctrl + bracket key to manually check brackets match or not and till where.

Thanks
Tript Singh

Re: Datasource and Initial Context

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, maninder s batth wrote:

> Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 20:41:10 -0800
> From: maninder s batth <an...@netscape.net>
> To: Tomcat Users List <to...@jakarta.apache.org>
> Subject: Datasource and Initial Context
>
> hi i am using my own DataSource class which cannot be configuered by xml
> file
> i need to programatically configure it . since tomcat provides read only
> context
> , is there any way i can use tomcat's jndi implementation, as of now i
> am using
> filesystem provider for datasource, is there any other open source
> provider for
> jndi which is more scalable and faster than file system provider?
> thanks

Tomcat will let you use any resource factory you want, as long as it (or a
wrapper class around it) implements the standard JNDI object factory
interface (javax.naming.spi.ObjectFactory).  If you grab a source distro
of commons-dbcp <http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp> and look at the
sources for org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory (the default
object factory for data sources in Tomcat) you can see that it's actually
pretty easy to create such a wrapper class around your own data source
implementation.  Then, you tell Tomcat to use your factory by using a
"factory" parameter in the <ResourceParams> section of server.xml.

For more info about JNDI resources in Tomcat, including a simple example
of building your own factory, see:

Posted by maninder s batth <an...@netscape.net>.

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

Re: [4.1.16a] A feeedback from an Initial Installation on WinNT

Posted by Pae Choi <pa...@earthlink.net>.
Ok. I admit that I have not check the list before I was posting. And I
can take your comment on MBean part, but not the deploying part. :-)

Thanks for your comments,

Pae

> This is really a tomcat-user question (and, has been covered, ad nausium,
on
> that list :)
>
> The short form is that you can either use the Ajp13Connector without
MBeans,
> or you can use the Jk2 CoyoteConnector with MBeans.  If you have a serious
> need for the Ajp13Connector with MBeans, patches are always welcome.

org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.removeChild(ContainerBase.java:1036)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostDeployer.remove(StandardHostDeployer.ja
> > va:420)
> >  at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.remove(StandardHost.java:852)
> >  at
> org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.undeployApps(HostConfig.java:919)
> >  at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.stop(HostConfig.java:899)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.lifecycleEvent(HostConfig.java:370)
> >  at

org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSuppor
> > t.java:166)
> >  at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(ContainerBase.java:1221)
> >  at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.stop(ContainerBase.java:1233)
> >  at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.stop(StandardService.java:554)
> >  at
org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.stop(StandardServer.java:2224)

Posted by Pae Choi <pa...@earthlink.net>.
I have not looked the source code yet. And I won't have time for it for a
while.

Wasn't the exception in the previous message enough to trace the cause? I
will provide you a full log if you think that will help.

Pae

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Re: Datasource and Web.xml

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.