Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> on 2012/09/26 23:02:22 UTC

couch has docs!

Hi,

After much hand-wringing & gnashing of teeth, we now have a /docs/
branch in git[1], [2], and available online [3]. A huge thank-you to
Dirkjan Ochtman, Alexander Shorin, and the tireless Jan & Noah to make
this happen. The single biggest thing you can do as thanks, is to send
us improvements, in any form you feel comfortable, and in any size.

Sending in changes & fixes should be as easy as 1-2-3:

1: fork locally with git, or github
2: edit the .rst format [7] files either in the slick github UI, or in
your favourite editor
3: send a pull request, mail, jira, or a patch as you prefer

I hopefully documented those steps [4] so please let me know if it
works. Live Long & Document!

Notes & Tips:
- /docs/ lags master a wee bit, nothing serious
- feel free to use COUCHDB-1536 for tracking any integration work in
the /docs/ branch
- you can use pandoc online [5] to convert from your favourite format
- it looks like github lets you edit in markdown but send in changes
in rst format

[1]: https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb.git;a=tree;f=share/docs;hb=docs
[2]: https://github.com/apache/couchdb/tree/docs
[3]: http://couchdb.readthedocs.org/en/latest/index.html
[4]: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Documentation
[5]: http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try
[6]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-1536
[7]: http://thomas-cokelaer.info/tutorials/sphinx/rest_syntax.html

A+
Dave

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.
On Sep 26, 2012, at 2:02 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:

> After much hand-wringing & gnashing of teeth, we now have a /docs/
> branch in git[1], [2], and available online [3].

Oh, great. My hard-won knowledge of the API is now made easily available to any newbie who can read.

But seriously — congratulations to all involved! These look slick and well-organized. When I have more time I’ll browse through them and fill in missing bits that I find and have knowledge of.

—Jens

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by stephen bartell <sn...@gmail.com>.
This is huge! good job!
Stephen Bartell

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them." -Einstein

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Bob Dionne <di...@dionne-associates.com>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Jens Alfke <je...@couchbase.com>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Thank you Dave. This is great work!!

--
NS

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM, Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com> wrote:
> - /docs/ lags master a wee bit, nothing serious

Do we have an ETA (or dependencies) for merging docs back into master?

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by "Michael Zedeler." <mi...@zedeler.dk>.
Hi Dave, Dirkjan, Alexander, Jan and Noah.

Great job! Thanks!

Regards,

Michael.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Noah Slater <ns...@tumbolia.org>.
Okay, I've been at this all day.

I've moved a lot of stuff around, and the whole thing is in flux. But
basically, I've integrated the docs to the point where `make distcheck`
works. And while I have started to align things, nothing else actually
happens. They are not built or installed.

I'll get to that next.

--
NS

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com>.
Great stuff. Thanks to all involved!

I'll make sure to read through it and I'll be more than happy to help you
out with the Wiki cleanup/transferal.

Cheers,
Octavian Damiean

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Octavian Damiean <ma...@gmail.com>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.
nice works. Thanks all!

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com>.
On 09/26/2012 03:47 PM, Dave Cottlehuber wrote:
> On 26 September 2012 23:44, john.tiger<jo...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> okay, thks - now what is plan - if docs go into /couchdb/docs then should
>> stuff in wiki be ported over ?  having both docs and wiki is confusing
>> unless really clear what goes into what.
> My evil plan is to review each wiki page 1 by 1, remove cruft, and

hardly evil - more like lots of hard much appreciated work

we'll start reviewing the docs and add where we have any better info

meanwhile, any ideas on changing the main web page - adding stubs for
some of the docs and community menu items ?

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.
On 27 September 2012 21:34, Eli Stevens (Gmail) <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM, john.tiger <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> look, if it was a simple markdown text file download, I'd already be reading

Hi John,

We really want this to be easy, easy as py. Hem.

Send me something in markdown and I'll restify it for you. Or you can
use pandoc[1] either as a web service (paste in md, get out rst) or
locally installed.

You can use the github editor online [2] to edit your fork in rst
format and flick back between preview mode. You don't need anything
locally installed at all in this case.

Both of these options are documented on the wiki[2] and mentioned both
times in my last 2 emails.

A+
Dave

[1]: http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/try
[2]: http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Documentation#Driving_GitHub_UI

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by "Eli Stevens (Gmail)" <wi...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 1:02 PM, john.tiger <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> look, if it was a simple markdown text file download, I'd already be reading

I don't think that a project with the scope of CouchDB is ever going
to be well served by "simple" documentation.

> and making updates instead of f.. ing around trying to install a bunch of
> scripts - I already wasted a couple of hours last night just trying to get
> this stuff - want contibutors, make it simple.  screwed around with rst a
> few years ago - waste of time.

Maybe instead you could explain what issues you're encountering, so
that someone can help get them fixed for you, and documented for the
next person who runs into them?

Eli

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com>.

>>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Documentation#Setting_up_Python_and_Sphinx_for_the_first_time
>>> 2. run this which should work:
>>>
>>> sphinx-build -a -E -W -n \
>>> -D version='$ver' \
>>> -D release='$ver-git-sha' \
>>> -D project='Apache CouchDB' \
>>> -D copyright='$year, Apache Software Foundation' \
>>> -d $TMPDIR/couchdocs/ \
>>> rst/ \
>>> `pwd`/manual
>>>
>>> Feel free to give the github approach a go
>>>
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Documentation#Editing_Documentation_via_GitHub
>>> as well.
>>
>> ugh, pythoners always make things more complex and time wasting - markdown
>> is so much simpler, no compiling necessary and more compatible with github
>>
> sure so you run markdown.py and here we go. Oh damn it's python. does
> it means markdown is also complex?

look, if it was a simple markdown text file download, I'd already be
reading and making updates instead of f.. ing around trying to install a

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Benoit Chesneau <bc...@gmail.com>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by "john.tiger" <jo...@gmail.com>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <dc...@jsonified.com>.

Re: couch has docs!

Posted by Dirkjan Ochtman <di...@ochtman.nl>.
On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:07 AM, john.tiger <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> maybe it's late, but I cannot figure out the docs build from linux
> "make html" did not work,  neither did python conf.py - what am i missing ?

It would be helpful if you were somewhat more specific than "did not work".

In any case, you need to install the Sphinx tool (written in Python),
along with its dependencies (just docutils and pygments, I think).
easy_install, pip, or your friendly local package manager should be
able to handle this with ease.

Cheers,

Dirkjan

Re: couch has docs!