Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Olle Olsson <re...@gmail.com> on 2022/05/27 06:54:50 UTC

OpenOffice 4.1.12 installer fails

Trying to update using
     Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.12_Win_x86_install_en-US
which I just downloaded from
   https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html

Running it ...
choosing "typical setup"
reaching "Ready to install"  hittingf "Install" button

Then it says:
  Please exit OpenOffice 4.1.12 and the OpenOffice 4.1.12
  Kickstarter before you continue...

Hmmm ... no such things seem to be running ... And it is a single user
system ...So there is nothing special for me to do, right?

Why does it make this remark?

The only action is presents is the "OK" button.

Hitting it results in:coming back to the normal Installer window, saying
   Installation Wizard Completed

  The wizard was interrupted before OpenOffice 4.1.12 could be completely
installed

  Your system has not been modified ....

Arrrrgh

What's up folks? How to make this update of OpenOffice work?

Regards,

/olle

Olle Olsson / Tel: +46705663716
email: redsky1066@gmail.com
Knivsta, Sweden

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.12 installer fails

Posted by Nancy Shiffrin <ns...@earthlink.net>.
wish I understood all this I'll try again Nancy

On 5/29/2022 12:52 PM, Olle Olsson wrote:
> [...]
> disable that way.
>   (2) no processes seen in Task Manager that match "soffice*" or similar.
>   (3) no processes seen in Task Manager that match anything named Open
> Office or Quickstarter .
>
> Now, if some functionality for OpenOffice is still active, it must be
> lurking behind the curtains, hiding from any reasonable inspection service.
>
> I had to experiment with the OpenOffice Options alternative about "Load ...
> during start-up".
>
> I disabled that AOO-option. Close everything. And then tried again. No
> difference.
> Did the same AOO option setting procedure once more.
> ... And then it worked
>
> Hopefully I have a fully working (and updated!) system now. Even though the
> behavior encountered is not easy to rationally explain.
>
> I can characterize my insights gained, by quoting a line from a song
> (written more than 50 years ago):
>

>> *Because something is happening here but you don't know what it isDo you,
>> Mr. Jones?  *
>>

> Thanks to all
>
> /o
>

> On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 11:30 PM Keith N. McKenna <ke...@comcast.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Ollie. Comments in line
>> Olle Olsson wrote:
>>
>>> Trying to update using
>>>        Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.12_Win_x86_install_en-US
>>> which I just downloaded from
>>>      https://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html
>>>
>>> Running it ...
>>> choosing "typical setup"
>>> reaching "Ready to install"  hittingf "Install" button
>>>
>>> Then it says:
>>>     Please exit OpenOffice 4.1.12 and the OpenOffice 4.1.12
>>>     Kickstarter before you continue...
>>>
>>> Hmmm ... no such things seem to be running ... And it is a single user
>>> system ...So there is nothing special for me to do, right?
>>>
>>> Why does it make this remark?
>>>
>>> The only action is presents is the "OK" button.
>>>
>> It is actually the Quickstarter, and to close it Open Task Manager (on
>> Windows 10 click in the area where your start key is) and look for any
>> soffice processes that are running and close them  bye right-clicking on
>> them and choose End Task on the fly-out menu that opens. Once that is
>> done re-run the installer and all should be well.
>>
>> To disable the QuickStarter from loading go t oTools > Options >
>> OpenOffice > Memory and deselect the Load OpenOffice during system
>> start-up item.
>>
>> Regards
>> Keith N. McKenna
>>
>>> Hitting it results in:coming back to the normalTools > Options >
>> OpenOffice > Memory. Installer window, saying
>>>      Installation Wizard Completed
>>>
>>>     The wizard was interrupted before OpenOffice 4.1.12 could be
>> completely
>>> installed
>>>
>>>     Your system has not been modified ....
>>>
>>> Arrrrgh
>>>
>>> What's up folks? How to make this update of OpenOffice work?

Nancy Shiffrin
https://www.NancyShiffrin.net

The Vast Unknowing
"I seek solace in crashing waves  salt breeze/inhale THE VAST UNKNOWING"
http://www.buybooksontheweb.com/product.aspx?ISBN=0-7414-8138-3

Game With Variations love poems
"I write/each day/on these sheets/reclaim/marrow bone sinew/
surrendered/each night/on those sheets"
https://www.createmybooks.com/BE/en/confirmation

"There are no writer's blocks only secrets we're afraid of telling"
Anais Nin

Re: OpenOffice 4.1.12 installer fails

Posted by Olle Olsson <re...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Keith N. McKenna" <ke...@comcast.net>.