Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by avmpt <pa...@vmware.com> on 2018/07/10 20:58:24 UTC

Config for setting up active passive broker pair

I would like to set up an active passive broker pair and was unsure of what
to use for the networkConnector config settings. I can set up a connection
if i simply reference the other broker using a static url in my activemq.xml
for amq-broker1

  <networkConnectors>

          <networkConnector
                name="broker1-broker2-topics"
                uri="static:(tcp://amq-broker2:61616)">
                <excludedDestinations>
                        <queue physicalName=">" />
                </excludedDestinations>
          </networkConnector>
        </networkConnectors>

But is this considered a master/slave pair or is this simply just a network
of brokers that will sync messages? What I would like is that amq-broker1 is
the master and amq-broker2 is the passive so that it only runs/becomes
active if amq-broker1 goes down. I tried using master slave but I get errors
because I only reference the slave (amq-broker2). I read somewhere that you
should not include the broker whose config you are setting in the list so
I'm not sure how to distingush amq-broker1 as master.

Re: Config for setting up active passive broker pair

Posted by Anna Jaworska <va...@gmail.com>.
You are mixing network of brokers with master-slave setup. You don't need
network definition in master-slave.
In master slave connectivity is based on common storage. Master is simply a
broker that has lock on storage,  while slave is actively checking if lock
can be acquired (because master died).  Read up on
http://activemq.apache.org/masterslave.html  if you want to setup master -
slave.