Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Vinod Jessani <je...@us.ibm.com> on 2007/08/24 18:51:19 UTC

Re: Standard SCA scenarios

Hi Jean-Sebastien,
I'm using tuscany-sca-1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT which I downloaded from the
website on the pdf document.
BTW, I'm able to run the calculator sample that's bundled with the
download.
How do we go about debugging these problems. Are there any trace settings?

I'll try the 0.99 RC1 you've mentioned below -- btw, the site has a tar.gz
file. Am hoping that after I unpack it on a  W2K system(using cygwin tools)
it will be still be usable (i.e. its not platform specific)

Cheers,
Vinod

             Jean-Sebastien
             Delfino/Burlingam
             e/IBM                                                      To
                                       Vinod Jessani/San Diego/IBM@IBMUS
             08/24/2007 08:30                                           cc
             AM                        Anh-khoa D
                                       Phan/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, David
                                       Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS, Eric
                                       Herness/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, Jeff
                                       Brent/Boca Raton/IBM@IBMUS, Michael
                                       Beisiegel/Somers/IBM@IBMUS, Peter
                                       Xu/New York/IBM@IBMUS, Ryan
                                       Rozich/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Standard SCA scenarios(Document
                                       link: Vinod Jessani)

Hi Vinod,

Which level of Tuscany are you using?

If you're not already using it, I'd recommend to use our release 0.99 RC1
distribution at http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/0.99-RC1/

With that 0.99 RC1 level the store.html in the PDF needs to be changed as
follows:

catalog = (.new JSONRpcClient("../Catalog")).Catalog;
shoppingCart = (new JSONRpcClient("../ShoppingCart")).ShoppingCart;

For quick questions/answers, you can also post to
tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org, the whole Tuscany team/community is on that list
supporting our users and will respond quickly to your questions.

Thanks.
--
Jean-Sebastien

  From:       Vinod Jessani/San Diego/IBM

  To:         Jean-Sebastien Delfino/Burlingame/IBM

  Cc:         Anh-khoa D Phan/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, David Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS, Eric Herness/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, Jeff Brent/Boca
              Raton/IBM@IBMUS, Michael Beisiegel/Somers/IBM@IBMUS, Peter Xu/New York/IBM@IBMUS, Ryan Rozich/Austin/IBM@IBMUS

  Date:       08/23/2007 06:00 PM

  Subject:    Re: Standard SCA scenarios

Jean-Sebastien,
I built the sample in the pdf and tried running it but am having issues.
Basically, when I launch the main program, I see the following o/p
      Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/ufs/*
      Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/Catalog
      Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/SCADomain/scaDomain.js
      Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/ShoppingCart
      Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/SCADomain/scaDomain.js
      store.composite ready for big business !!!

Then when I try to launch, http://localhost:8080/ufs/store.html in a
browser, I get the following:
      HTTP ERROR: 404
      NOT_FOUND

      RequestURI=/ufs/store.html

      Powered by Jetty://

Any thoughts on how I can debug this?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Vinod

             Jean-Sebastien
             Delfino/Burlingam
             e/IBM                                                      To
                                       Eric Herness/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS
             08/19/2007 10:41                                           cc
             PM                        Anh-khoa D
                                       Phan/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, David
                                       Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS, Jeff
                                       Rozich/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Vinod
                                       Jessani/San Diego/IBM@IBMUS
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Standard SCA scenarios(Document
                                       link: Vinod Jessani)

Eric,

We have a new scenario documented on our web site at
http://incubator.apache.org/tuscany/sca-java-releases.data/onlineStore.pdf.
This tutorial describes how to create an online store application with a
composition of SCA components on the server side and a Web 2.0 client UI
using JSON-RPC.

--
Jean-Sebastien

  From:       Eric Herness/Rochester/IBM

  To:         Ryan Rozich/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Jeff Brent/Boca Raton/IBM@IBMUS, Peter Xu/New York/IBM@IBMUS, Vinod Jessani/San Diego/IBM@IBMUS

  Cc:         Anh-khoa D Phan/Rochester/IBM@IBMUS, Jean-Sebastien Delfino/Burlingame/IBM, David Booz/Poughkeepsie/IBM@IBMUS, Michael
              Beisiegel/Somers/IBM@IBMUS

  Date:       08/17/2007 06:59 PM

  Subject:    Standard SCA scenarios

Guys, where have you gotten on this activity?    Are you ready to have a
call or discuss?     The urgency to get some scenarios documented, start
leveraging the codebase and get me some material to build 'value'
collateral continues to rise.

I'll schedule a quick call next week... but feel free to send materials,
questions, etc.. beforehand.

Eric Herness,
IBM Distinguished Engineer,
WBI Chief Architect
WebSphere Development, Rochester MN

Online store SCA tutorial, was: Standard SCA scenarios

Posted by Jean-Sebastien Delfino <js...@apache.org>.
Answers at the bottom.

[snip]

Vinod Jessani wrote:

> Hi Jean-Sebastien,
> I'm using tuscany-sca-1.0-incubating-SNAPSHOT which I downloaded from
> the website on the pdf document.
> BTW, I'm able to run the calculator sample that's bundled with the
> download.
> How do we go about debugging these problems. Are there any trace settings?
>
> I'll try the 0.99 RC1 you've mentioned below -- btw, the site has a
> tar.gz file. Am hoping that after I unpack it on a W2K system(using
> cygwin tools) it will be still be usable (i.e. its not platform specific)

[snip]

> I built the sample in the pdf and tried running it but am having issues.
> Basically, when I launch the main program, I see the following o/p
> Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/ufs/*
> Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/Catalog
> Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/SCADomain/scaDomain.js
> Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/ShoppingCart
> Added Servlet mapping: http://localhost:8080/SCADomain/scaDomain.js
> store.composite ready for big business !!!
>
> Then when I try to launch, http://localhost:8080/ufs/store.html in a
> browser, I get the following:
> * HTTP ERROR: 404*
> NOT_FOUND
>
> RequestURI=/ufs/store.html
>
> /_Powered by Jetty://_/ <http://jetty.mortbay.org/>
>
> Any thoughts on how I can debug this?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Vinod

We now have a 0.99 RC2 distribution as well. It's available there:
http://people.apache.org/~antelder/tuscany/0.99-RC2/

Distributions are available in .tar.gz (Linux) and .zip (Windows) forms,
but the tar.gz distro should work on Windows as well.

The Online Store sample works with both RC1 and RC2.

The Tuscany runtime code only produces a few high level log messages for
significant events, there is no low level tracing in the code. We've
been discussing on this list how to enable some low level debug tracing
externally using AspectJ. We'll probably document how to do this some
time soon on the Tuscany Wiki (I thought that there was the beginning of
a doc but can't find it anymore on the Wiki).

In the meantime an example of how to trace with Aspectj is available there:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/tuscany/sandbox/rfeng/aop-logging/

--
Jean-Sebastien