Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Josema Alonso <jo...@simbiosystems.com> on 2003/02/25 01:43:21 UTC

cinclude transformer VERY slow

Dear all,

I'm playing around with the CInclude transformer and the Directory generator
for aggregation in latest 2.1(within the included Jetty engine). I've chosen
this way and not the Aggregate one cause I want the included files to be
dynamically select.

Anyway, each time I request the URL, the pipeline gets executed correctly
but it takes ages to render the result. I only have three very very small
files (700 bytes) in the directory. When I run my pipleine I first get the
list of files using the Directory Generator, then make an XSL trasnformation
so I get something like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
  <page xmlns:cinclude="http://apache.org/cocoon/include/1.0">
    <cinclude:include src="n_2003_02_24.news.xml" element="included" />
    <cinclude:include src="n_2003_02_23_1.news.xml" element="included" />
    <cinclude:include src="n_2003_02_23_0.news.xml" element="included" />
  </page>

Next step in my pipeline is to apply the CInclude transformer. As I said, it
renders but it takes some 1m30s. Of course, this is not acceptable.

I tried switching to the CachingCIncludeTransformer and also to the
XIncludeTransformer but unfortunately I had the same results.

Does anybody had this problem?

Thanks for reading.

Re: cinclude transformer VERY slow

Posted by Miles Egan <mi...@caddr.com>.
Josema Alonso wrote:
> Hello, again.
>
> Replying to myself but still haven't found a good explanation...
>
> The *.news.xml docs I mentioned in my previous message are Docbook articles.
> All of them have the doctype declaration for the Docbook article DTD:
> <!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
> "http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd">
>
> I removed the declaration and everything went fine.

For what it's worth, I've been using cinclude pretty heavily without any
performance problems.  I haven't been using DTDs.

miles

Re: cinclude transformer VERY slow

Posted by Josema Alonso <jo...@simbiosystems.com>.
Dear Martin,

You were absolutely right. The DTDs were not being resolved locally. Once I
updated the catalog adding the Docbook stuff, everything went back to
normal.

Sometimes I still feel Cocoon is too big... there are some components I
haven't used yet... and I've been using Cocoon for almost a couple years
now...

Thank you very much for your help :-)

Posted by Martin Holz <ho...@fiz-chemie.de>.

Posted by Josema Alonso <jo...@simbiosystems.com>.
Hello, again.

Replying to myself but still haven't found a good explanation...

The *.news.xml docs I mentioned in my previous message are Docbook articles.
All of them have the doctype declaration for the Docbook article DTD:
<!DOCTYPE article PUBLIC "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook XML V4.2//EN"
"http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/docbookx.dtd">

I removed the declaration and everything went fine.

I thought that maybe it was trying to validate the articles and retrieving
the DTD remotely, but I switched to a local copy of the DTD and the problem
is still the same.

By now, I have removed the doctype declarations, but this is just a quick
workaround. I do not know what's going on...still investigating...

Any help is appreciated.