Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Eric Smith <es...@torrent.com> on 2001/10/15 20:13:43 UTC

configuration file format

    I've only been using log4j for a few months now, and while reading
this mailing list, a question has been forming in my mind.  It looks
like most people use an XML formatted configuration file.  I am not
currently doing that, but I got wondering.
    It looks like there is a limit to what I can do with the
property-list style configuration file.  Is this true?  Even if I'm not
doing something fancy now, would it be better to switch to using an XML
configuration file so that, if I needed to, I could enable the more
complex features (without changing my source code)?  Or can I do
everything in the property-list style file?

    I have an off topic question which people can choose to ignore.  If
you have an answer/suggestion, feel free to email directly if you don't
want to pollute the list.
    Since I program in Perl as well as java, I know all about CPAN.
I've been looking for a web site similar to CPAN, but for java jars.
I've looked at jars.com, but the descriptions aren't rich enough and the
categories aren't specific enough (at least for what I was recently
looking for.)  Basically, I'm just spoiled with CPAN.  I can usually
find something related quickly when I look around CPAN... and I think
java would benefit from this too.
    Are there any well organized, well indexed web sites for java jars?

    Eric