Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by nageshyakkanti <na...@yahoo.co.in> on 2007/08/02 19:36:39 UTC

javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Error initializing Velocity: org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException: Unable to find resource 'menu.vm'

Hi,

I am working on Tomcat 5.0 , linux fedora
I am facing the following error
javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Error initializing Velocity:
org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException: Unable to find
resource 'menu.vm'

my velocity.properties is as follows
resource.loader = classpath
file.resource.loader.description = File Resource Loader
file.resource.loader.class =
org.apache.velocity.runtime.resource.loader.FileResourceLoader
file.resource.loader.path = /templates
file.resource.loader.cache = false
file.resource.loader.modificationCheckInterval = 0

velocimacro.library = globalMacros.vm
velocimacro.library.autoreload = true
velocimacro.permissions.allow.inline.to.replace.global = true
userdirective=net.sf.navigator.displayer.LocalDirective
runtime.log.logsystem.class=org.apache.velocity.runtime.log.SimpleLog4JLogSystem
runtime.log=/net/home/nyakkanti/tomcat5/logs/empApp-velocity.log

ia m using the following class to load my velocity
public class VelocityConfigurator
  extends ContextExtendedPropertiesLoader
{
  private static Category s_log =
Category.getInstance(VelocityConfigurator.class);

  /**
   * Configures Velocity using a Properties object that is loaded
   * when the web application starts up.
   * @param props The loaded Properties object.
   * @param sce The servlet context event that initialized the loading.
   */
  protected void handleExtendedProperties(ExtendedProperties props,
					  ServletContextEvent sce)
  {
    ServletContext sctx = sce.getServletContext();
    s_log.debug("About to load velocity config file");
    try {
      String templatesLocationType = sctx.getInitParameter
("velocity-templates-location-type");
      String templatesLocation = sctx.getInitParameter
("velocity-templates-location");
      String realTemplatesLocation;
      if ((templatesLocationType!=null) &&
          (templatesLocationType.equalsIgnoreCase("absolute")))
      {
      // velocity-templates-location-type equals "absolute"
      // so trust the path
        realTemplatesLocation = templatesLocation;
      }
      else
      // velocity-templates-location-type equals "context-relative"
      // so expand it based on the context deployment location.
      {
        realTemplatesLocation = sctx.getRealPath(templatesLocation);
      }
      props.addProperty ("file.resource.loader.path",
realTemplatesLocation);
      s_log.debug ("Configuring loader path:" + realTemplatesLocation);
      Velocity.setExtendedProperties (props);
      Velocity.init ();
      s_log.info("Velocity configured");
    } catch (Exception e) {
      s_log.error ("Velocity configuration threw exception", e);
      throw new RuntimeException("An error occurred while configuring
Velocity");
    }
  }

  /**
   * Returns the name of the context parameter that specifies the location
   * of the velocity properties file.
   * @return "velocity.properties".
   */
  protected String getContextParameter()
  {
    return "velocity.properties";
  }

as i see in the logs the
Configuring loader path:
/net/home/nyakkanti/dev/empappdep/jbpm-demo/build/war/WEB-INF/templates

but i am still not bale to find the .vm files.

can anybody please guide me on this.

I have tried using the logging for velocity but it does not to the lowest
level.
How to set the logging level of velocity to debug so that i can figure out
what path velocity is taking.

thanks
nagesh

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/javax.servlet.jsp.JspException%3A-Error-initializing-Velocity%3A-org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException%3A-Unable-to-find-resource-%27menu.vm%27-tf4207570.html#a11969143

Re: javax.servlet.jsp.JspException: Error initializing Velocity: org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException: Unable to find resource 'menu.vm'

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
Ok, that makes it possible to configure the FileResourceLoader
properly, but it is still very difficult, non-portable, and generally
not recommended.  I strongly recommend you use the WebappLoader for
resource loading in webapps.

If you insist on using the FileResourceLoader, then you will find that
you need to specify the full, absolute path to your templates in the
file system.

Posted by nageshyakkanti <na...@yahoo.co.in>.
Yes,  make sense
I will try WebappResourceLoader
and hopefully will work

View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/javax.servlet.jsp.JspException%3A-Error-initializing-Velocity%3A-org.apache.velocity.exception.ResourceNotFoundException%3A-Unable-to-find-resource-%27menu.vm%27-tf4207570.html#a12022640

Posted by Christopher Townson <ch...@christophertownson.com>.

Posted by nageshyakkanti <na...@yahoo.co.in>.

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.