Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Wm.A.Stafford" <st...@marine.rutgers.edu> on 2008/10/24 23:13:07 UTC

I'm more confused than ever about where STDOUT goes

First of all, thanks to Martin and Chuck for the replies to my original
question about Tomcat 5.5 logging.

To reiterate: I've installed Tomcat5.5.27 on Windows XP as a stand alone
(not service) server and I do not see any of the logged info that I
would expect when I start Tomcat.  At the very least I should see a
whole lot of logging from Spring.  I'm not clear as to whether Tomcat
itself logs anything to stdout during startup.

As per suggestions of Martin and Chuck:
1. I added swallowOutput="true" to the <context> tag in
CATALINA_HOME/conf/context.xml.  I also tried "false".
2. I created a CATALINA_HOME/common/classes/logging.properties as shown
on http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/logging.html

I still don't see any output anywhere.  On startup TC creates five files
in the logs dir but all are empty.  I have one Spring app deployed so I
know that something should be written to stdout even if TC writes nothing.

I must be missing something really fundamental.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
-=bill

Re: I'm more confused than ever about where STDOUT goes

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Wm.A.Stafford wrote:
> Mark,
>    Thanks for taking the time to look into the problem.  I'll take your
> advice and do a new install.
>
>    What should I see when I start Tomcat with 'catalina.bat run'?

What you saw before plus ~10 lines of start up messages.

Mark

Re: I'm more confused than ever about where STDOUT goes

Posted by "Wm.A.Stafford" <st...@marine.rutgers.edu>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Thomas <me...@virgin.net>.

Posted by "Wm.A.Stafford" <st...@marine.rutgers.edu>.
Mark,

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Wm.A.Stafford" <st...@marine.rutgers.edu>.
Mark,
Thanks for taking an interest.  I ran 'catalina.bat run' and got the
following:

C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat-5.5.27\bin>catalina.bat run
Using CATALINA_BASE:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat-5.5.27
Using CATALINA_HOME:   C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat-5.5.27
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\apache-tomcat-5.5.27\temp
Using JRE_HOME:        C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_0

As before, new log files are created but there is no content.

Thanks for any advice,
-=bill

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.