Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Yu Jie <we...@yahoo.com> on 2005/03/22 07:13:15 UTC

[Axis] Questions about linux edition

Hi all,
    I'm a beginner of Apache Axis, I want to install
Axis on two linux platform: mandrake and MontaVista.
Is anybody try it? Does Axis can running properly on
these two platform?

    Thanks.

Yours Yu Jie
webpurchasing@yahoo.com

Make Yahoo! your home page
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: [Axis] Questions about linux edition

Posted by Elaine Nance <el...@commerce.state.ak.us>.
I'm running Axis 1.1 (stable release) on Mandrake 9.2 with JDK
1.4.2_06.  Working out of an old Gateway box on a PIII 800 Mhz
w/only 384 Mb RAM.  Tomcat 5.0.28.

No problems with it as a test machine.

Connected with our Oracle server using the Oracle JDBC thin
clients and ran some pretty rigorous tests of a remote web service.

(1) separates the test box from my Windows workstation
(2) performance using NetBeans as IDE is only a little slower
than on Windows with a P4 1.5Ghz
(3) stable, stable, stable.
(4) very easy to work from the command line and see everything
going on
(5)  If something goes wrong the whole system doesn't have to be
rebuilt.  My Win2k workstation was recently rebuilt, took our
network tech several days.  It *still* is apparently no longer
compatible with the latest Symantec Corp AV client (for some
unknown reason), and can't use the latest NetWare client (reason
also unknown).  NEVER have those kind of problems with Mandrake,
unless using Mandrake Move. ;

HTH,
Elaine

--
<~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  |  Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.
  |                                 --  Pablo Picasso  --

Re: [Axis] Questions about linux edition

Posted by Gregory G Carter <gc...@aesgi.com>.
Any Java app running under a VM so far in my experience, Linux is the
best platform for Java.

The price performance ratio is outstanding.

-gc

PS: Happily running Axis on Fedora 2,3,4 and SuSe 9.1,.2

Posted by Deepal Jayasinghe <de...@opensource.lk>.
Hi ;