Posted to soap-dev@xml.apache.org by "Sajit Kumar (RBIN/DCA-IAG)" <Sa...@in.bosch.com> on 2001/03/07 05:02:20 UTC

Problems in running sample code

Hi All,

	I have deployed the StockQuote service using the GUI for
ServiceMangerClient and it was deployed successfully now when I try listing
them at the command prompt it gives me the following exception.
C:\>java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient -auth admin:admin
http://iag_45_ntw:8100/xml-soap/servlet/rpcrouter
<http://iag_45_ntw:8100/xml-soap/servlet/rpcrouter>  list
Ouch, the call failed:
  Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Server.Exception:
  Fault String = org/apache/xerces/parsers/DOMParser

Now when I try running the client code for StockQuote it gives me the same
exception.

C:\>java samples.stockquote.GetQuote
http://iag_45_ntw:8100/xml-soap/servlet/rpcrouter
<http://iag_45_ntw:8100/xml-soap/servlet/rpcrouter>  IBM
Ouch, the call failed:
  Fault Code   = SOAP-ENV:Server.Exception:
  Fault String = org/apache/xerces/parsers/DOMParser

I use JRun  as my webserver. I have added xerces.jar to the front of my
ClassPath. I have followed the install instructions given by Glen Daniels. I
have seen people in this group facing the same problem so if somebody could
suggest me some solution to get my sample codes working. And if somebody
working with Apache SOAP on JRun  could send me some sample code he/she has
developed would be of great help. Any suggestions would be of great help.
Thanks in advance.

With Regards
Sajit

Re: Problems in running sample code

Posted by Scott Nichol <sn...@computer.org>.
Sajit,

I use Apache SOAP with JRun 3.  Let me go through my configuration so you
can compare it to yours.

First, the CLASSPATH in my environment, in this case NT, is (note there is
wrapping of text here!)

j:\jdk1.1.8i\lib\classes.zip;j:\swing-1.1\swingall.jar;k:\orant\jdbc\lib\cla
sses
111_01.zip;k:\orant\jdbc\lib\nls_charset11_01.zip;.;j:\soap-2_1\lib\soap.jar
;j:\
soap-2_1;k:\program files\allaire\jrun\lib\ext\mail.jar;k:\program
files\allaire
\jrun\lib\ext\activation.jar;j:\xerces-1_2_3\xerces.jar;j:\jsdk2.0\lib\jsdk.
jar;
j:\xml4j_2_0_15\xml4j.jar;j:\lotusxsl_0_18_5\js.jar;j:\lotusxsl_0_18_5\lotus
xsl.
jar;j:\xmlparser_v2_0_2_5\lib\xmlparserv2.jar;j:\i-net\Una2000.jar;j:\atinav
\Dri
verClasses.jar;j:\jturbo4\jturbo.jar

The important things are

    j:\soap-2_1\lib\soap.jar
    j:\soap-2_1
    k:\program files\allaire\jrun\lib\ext\mail.jar
    k:\program files\allaire\jrun\lib\ext\activation.jar
    j:\xerces-1_2_3\xerces.jar

You will note that Xerces is in the CLASSPATH prior to xml4j.jar and
xmlparserv2.jar, which are also XML parsers.

Second, my JRun global properties file (k:\Program
Files\Allaire\JRun\lib\global.properties) has the following line that I
changed manually (again, e-mail will wrap this into multiple lines)

jrun.classpath=j:\\xerces-1_2_3\\xerces.jar;{jrun.rootdir}/lib/ext;{jrun.roo
tdir}/lib/jrun.jar;{jrun.rootdir}/lib/install.jar;J:\\jdk1.2.2\\lib\\tools.j
ar

The key here is that Xerces is at the start of the server classpath.  For
all I know, it may also be important that I am using the particular version
of Xerces that I am.

Third, my JRun default server properties file
(k:\Program Files\Allaire\JRun\servers\default\local.properties) has the
following lines that I changed manually (I did not use the administration
tool - I am not a GUI kind of guy)

user.classpath={jrun.rootdir}/servers/lib;{jrun.server.rootdir}/lib;j:\\soap
-2_1\\lib\\soap.jar;j:\\soap-2_1

servlet.webapps=default-app,demo-app,soap

soap.rootdir=J:\\soap-2_1\\webapps\\soap
soap.class={webapp.service-class}

The first line adds the SOAP library and samples to the default server
classpath.  The second line adds a webapp named soap (different from
xml-soap in the installation instructions).  The third and fourth lines
specify the root directory for the webapp and the class of the webapp.

With this configuration, the following command works for me

java org.apache.soap.server.ServiceManagerClient
http://localhost:8100/soap/servlet/rpcrouter list

I hope this helps.

Scott Nichol