Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Robert Miller <rm...@ofumic.com> on 2004/08/19 21:24:44 UTC

Conditionally Validating an Entire Form Based Upon the button pressed

I have a form which has a "save" (<html:submit ...) and "continue"
(<html:cancel ...) button.
The "save" should validate and process the data in the form.
The "continue" button should go to the next page, skipping any
validation and processing.

I have been using the validator plugin, with all of my validation in
the validation.xml file.
My form bean extends ValidatorForm and my validate function is
commented out (is not overriding the parent).

This validates great but will not allow me to skip validation on
"continue".

I have searched Google for conditional validation and only found how to
conditionally validate "required" fields based upon the values of other
fields.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.
Robert

Re: Conditionally Validating an Entire Form Based Upon the button pressed

Posted by Kishore Senji <ks...@gmail.com>.
Instead of commenting out your validate() method

You can do something like this

public ActionErrors validate(ActionMapping mapping, HttpServletRequest request){
  ActionErrors errors = super.validate(mapping, request);

// If we see the cancel key in the request, since your continue button
is a cancel,
// return null

  if(StringUtils.isNotEmpty(request.getParameter(org.apache.struts.taglib.html.Constants.CANCEL_PROPERTY
))){
    return null;
  }
  return errors;
}

Thanks,
Kishore Senji.

Posted by struts lover <st...@yahoo.com>.
Extend your action class from
ValidatorLookupdispatchAction class by  Brandon
Goodin.