Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org> on 2023/05/12 15:53:40 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] Adding non-committers as Github collaborators

Thanks again for bringing this up, David!

As an update to the community, the PMC has approved a process to make use of this feature.

Here are the relevant updates:

PR to add the policy: https://github.com/apache/kafka-site/pull/510

PR to update the list: https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/13713

Ticket to automate this process.. Contributions welcome :) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KAFKA-14995

And to make sure it doesn't fall through the cracks in the mean time, here's the release process step: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Release+Process#ReleaseProcess-UpdatetheCollaboratorsList

Unfortunately, the "collaborator" feature only allows 20 usernames, so we have decided to simply take the top 20 non-committer authors from the past year (according to git shortlog). Congratulations to our new collaborators!

Victoria Xia, Greg Harris, Divij Vaidya, Lucas Brutschy, Yash Mayya, Philip Nee, vamossagar12,, Christo Lolov, Federico Valeri, andymg3, RivenSun, Kirk True, Matthew de Detrich, Akhilesh C, Alyssa Huang, Artem Livshits, Gantigmaa Selenge, Hao Li, Niket, and hudeqi

Thanks,
-John

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hi Divij,

Interesting; perhaps they didn't need to send you an invite because your github account is already associated with another Apache project? The actions you listed are the things that the collaborator role gives you, so I think you're good to go.

Thanks,
-John

Posted by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com>.
Hey John

Posted by Andrew Grant <ag...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Got the invite and was able to accept.

Thanks a lot John!

Posted by Greg Harris <gr...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
John,

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hello again, all,

FYI, I've just opened a request for clarification on the ability to trigger builds: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-24673

Thanks,
-John

Posted by Hao Li <hl...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
> [...]

> Jenkins, but you should be able to say "retest this please" in a PR comment
> to trigger it. Apparently, that doesn't work anymore, though. I'll file an
> Infra ticket for it.
>
> Thanks all,
> John
>
> On Fri, Jun 2, 2023, at 18:46, Hao Li wrote:
> > Hi Luke,
> >
> > Sorry for the late reply. Can you also add me to the whitelist? I believe
> > I'm supposed to be there as well. Matthias and John can vouch for me :)
> My
> > github ID is "lihaosky".
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Hao
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 4:43 PM Greg Harris <greg.harris@aiven.io.invalid
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Luke,
> >>
> >> I see that the PR has been merged, but I don't believe it re-sent the

Hao

Re: [DISCUSS] Adding non-committers as Github collaborators

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hello all,

Posted by Hao Li <hl...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi Luke,

wrote:

> [...]
> > Since updating collaborator list is part of release process based on the
> doc
> > <https://kafka.apache.org/contributing>, I just created a new list and
> > opened a PR:
> > https://github.com/apache/kafka/pull/13790
> >
> > Hope that after this PR merged, you'll get a new invitation.
> >
> > Thanks.
> > Luke
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 5:27 AM Andrew Grant <agrant@confluent.io.invalid
> >
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > > Like Greg I also received an invitation to collaborate but was too
> slow to
> > > accept the invite :( I'm also wondering if there's a way to resend the
> > > invite? I'm andymg3 on GitHub.
> > > Thanks,
> > > Andrew
> > >
> > > On Tue, May 30, 2023 at 12:12 PM Greg Harris

Hao

Re: [DISCUSS] Adding non-committers as Github collaborators

Posted by Greg Harris <gr...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Luke,

Posted by Luke Chen <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Greg and Andrew,

Posted by Andrew Grant <ag...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hi all,

Posted by Greg Harris <gr...@aiven.io.INVALID>.
Hey all,

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Hey Yash,

Posted by Yash Mayya <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justine,

Posted by Justine Olshan <jo...@confluent.io.INVALID>.
Yash,

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.
+1 on Divij suggestions

Posted by Yash Mayya <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hey folks,

Are there any additional steps required in order to be able to trigger
Jenkins builds on pull requests? The seemingly relevant link in the
asf.yaml file appears to be a dead one -
https://github.com/apache/kafka/blob/5b3b385881d5518ef1b2c63cb55244cf80a80da2/.asf.yaml#L25
(else it's a permissions issue).

Thanks,
Yash

Posted by Divij Vaidya <di...@gmail.com>.
Hey folks

Posted by John Roesler <vv...@apache.org>.
Hello again, all,

Just a quick update: after merging the changes to asf.yaml, I received a notification that the list is limited to only 10 people, not 20 as the documentation states.

Here is the list of folks who will now be able to triage PRs and trigger builds: Victoria Xia, Greg Harris, Divij Vaidya, Lucas Brutschy, Yash Mayya, Philip Nee, vamossagar12, Christo Lolov, Federico Valeri, and andymg3

Posted by Yash Mayya <ya...@gmail.com>.
Hey folks,

Thanks for driving this initiative! I think the ability to assign reviewers
/ apply labels to PRs and re-trigger Jenkins builds is really useful and
will also allow us to help out the community a bit more.

Thanks,
Yash