Posted to dev@corinthia.apache.org by Dorte Fjalland <do...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/21 23:33:33 UTC

Apache Corinthia website is up and running

Hi,
The Corinthia website <http://corinthia.incubator.apache.org/index.html>
has been published and is ready for comments, critique, suggestions etc.
The site has a frontpage with just a few words about what Corinthia is
about and that volunteers are welcome onboard.
There is a community tab with a How to contribute text and a Contributor
guide text inspired by other incubator project websites. Then there is a
Learn more tab with a text about Corithia history, description, goal, etc.
The Documentation tab is meant to link to the Wiki. All texts need to be
worked on/revised by people who have the knowledge. Changes to the site
will be made after New Year.

The FB page and Twitter accounts have got the same banner/cover as the
website and you are welcome to Like/Follow them.

Please check out the site on your mobile devises to see how the responsive
design works.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Dorte Fjalland

<http://www.jandorte.com/>

RE: Apache Corinthia website is up and running

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Hello Dorte,

Thank you for the web site work at <http://corinthia.incubator.apache.org>.  For me, the owl on the keyboard is wonderful.

The page works great on Internet Explorer 11 (on Windows 8.1) with a large, high-quality monitor.

Using my Windows Phone 7 (HTC with 4.5" screen) the page works beautifully.  The illustration is clear.  The menu pop-down works great.  The twitter feed and small owl symbol work great, although it is not so distinctly an owl at the size on my phone.

The front page works great on an original Kindle Fire.

There is one common difficulty on all views.  At the bottom, the Apache incubator material is too close to the browser frame margins compared to the other portions of the page.  This is more bothersome on mobile devices because the edge of the frame is the edge of the screen.  Also, the text that accompanies the Incubator symbol is too small and the interline spacing is too great.

Great work!

 - Dennis

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
> On 22 Dec 2014, at 5:33 am, Dorte Fjalland <do...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Please check out the site on your mobile devises to see how the responsive
> design works.

Just checked on iPhone and it looks fine.

Incidentally, now you have a mac you can install Xcode and use the iOS simulator to test how websites look on the various size iPhones as well as iPad.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Re: Apache Corinthia website is up and running

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.
Jan,
Patience. :-)

Lo estoy haciendo a este momento. Pero antes de todo, gracias a Dorte—!

(Spanish b/c it was all modulo “mañana”)

louis

Posted by Dorte Fjalland <do...@gmail.com>.
On 23 December 2014 at 12:14, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 23 December 2014 at 11:58, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org> wrote:
>

> > On 2014-12-23 11:55, jan i wrote:
> >
> >> On 23 December 2014 at 11:31, Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >>
> >>  +0:

> website/fb/twitter
> >> and
> >> Logo are tightly connected. If the logo changes (apart from stylish
> >> changes) the main picture should also change.
> >>
> > They are, but only the logo is a trademark issue, and thus it needs a
> > separate thread.
> >

> Trademarks issues is a whole different discussion, where we have to start
> with a name search (see status page) to get the name accepted, it does not
> seem correct to have the logo accepted before the name.
>
> There has been some debate on general@i.a.o when it is appropriate for a
> podling to start discussing trademarks, and to me it seemed to be something
> to be done when we are close to graduating.
>
> The owl is hand drawn by dorte, based on a photo taken and modified by
> dorte, so seen from that point there are no conflicts in terms of
> trademarks....it is of course a different matter whether or not the
> community like it.
>
> but as I just wrote in a separate mail, if you or others feel it should be
> discussed separately it is not a problem for me.
>

> >> So you can say we have 2 discussions in this thread. The general
> >> layout/content of web/fb/twitter (menus, responsive design etc), and the
> >> graphical layout (logo and pictures).
> >>

> >>  As for comments; I like the overall idea, but the logo itself is a bit

> play
> >> around with it. The idea was to give the impression of a hand drawn owl
> >> (which it really is) instead of a machine made perfect owl.
> >>
> > Is there a place where I can get the original own image? in high
> > resolution?

You are welcome to give it a try. I will mail the xcf file to you. Please
note that it is the image used for the cover pic and is it not for public
use.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by Daniel Gruno <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
Hi

Posted by Peter Kelly <pm...@apache.org>.
Looks like a great start. I like the logo/header image - I think it’s quite a clever concept (the wise owl sitting at a keyboard). I think the black & white image you have on Twitter could be simplified further, to be more abstract rather than a literal line-art representation of the photo. It will also simplify animal selection if we ever publish a book about the project via O’Reilly ;)

The content that’s up so far is a good start, though the introductory information needs to be more clearly accessible and better formatted (paragraphs). I’ll have a crack at this myself in the next few days, as part of other long-overdue efforts to write documentation for newcomers.

—
Dr Peter M. Kelly
pmkelly@apache.org

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.
On 24/12/2014 jan i wrote:
> can you share your AOO incubator experience with
> us. Did AOO run into problems by not using incubator as name, or (which I
> assume) did AOO use it a lot and as a consequence have lots of changes?

There was an excessive (probably) attention to using incubator or
incubating everywhere, to the effect that the OpenOffice dev list
archives are still indexed at
http://markmail.org/search/?q=list%3Aorg.apache.incubator.ooo-dev and
that the transition from incubator to TPL took months.

In the case of Corinthia, there are surely fewer pages to update but I
recommend to use "Apache Corinthia" for anything where using "incubator"
is not mandated (which more or less means: you need incubator in the
site footer, you need "incubator" in the release artifact names and in
the README files, but you are free on most of the rest).

Regards,
   Andrea.

Re: Apache Corinthia website is up and running

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On Wednesday, December 24, 2014, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>
wrote:

> On 21/12/2014 Dorte Fjalland wrote:
>
>> The Corinthia website http://corinthia.incubator.apache.org/index.html
>> has been published and is ready for comments, critique, suggestions etc.
>>

> The site looks OK, but rather than on aesthetics I'll comment on content.
> I see that in most places you refer to "Apache Corinthia" instead of
> "Apache Corinthia (incubating)". I believe this is absolutely the right
> thing to do: while there are some mandatory disclaimers to add while
> Corinthia is still incubating (and you already obey that in the footer),
> creating a Twitter account for "Apache Corinthia (incubating)" would be
> stupid.
>
> In general, I recommend keeping references to "incubating" only when
> strictly needed, otherwise you will regret that. For example, archiving
> this list as http://markmail.org/search/?q=corinthia+list%3Aorg.apache.
> corinthia.dev and not as something containing "incubator" was another
> thing that you did right. Continue like this!

thanks for the kind words. can you share your AOO incubator experience with
us. Did AOO run into problems by not using incubator as name, or (which I
assume) did AOO use it a lot and as a consequence have lots of changes?

I recommended not using Incubator unless it was mandatory, so if problems
arise I am to blame not the project.

rgds
jan i

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.