Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick Rudnick <jo...@t-online.de> on 2011/02/11 22:52:25 UTC

[users@httpd] Reverse Proxying to 2 backends, how to keep the URL-directory prefix having relative paths?

Dear all,

googling didn't do the trick so here my question. Reverse proxying two
backends by

ProxyPass /app http://127.0.0.1:4444
ProxyPassReverse /app http://127.0.0.1:4444

ProxyPass /wiki http://127.0.0.1:7777
ProxyPassReverse /wiki http://127.0.0.1:7777

I run into problems with the second backend, as its relative paths lack
the wiki/ prefix.

Rewriting isn't a good idea, as the wiki pages' paths don't have
prefixes, i.e. href="WikiPageName".

Interestingly, with the first backend I got relative paths running fine
after eliminating leading slashes.

Is there a more elegant solution to this than modifying the wiki backend
so that it writes href="wiki/WikiPageName" etc. everywhere?

Thank you a lot in advance,

     Nick

Re: [users@httpd] Reverse Proxying to 2 backends, how to keep the URL-directory prefix having relative paths?

Posted by Nick Rudnick <jo...@t-online.de>.
Hi Devrai,

if you have a similar setup, maybe you don't need substituting at all --
it works fine without, when I take a clone of my first backend.

Cheers, Nick

Posted by Nick Rudnick <jo...@t-online.de>.
Thanks a lot, but I am afraid that, in my case, *anything* can appear in
the relative path, as it's a wiki and there is no prefix.

My guess is the following:

As is works for the first backend, this shows that Server/Browser *can*
'remember' where to send a relative path to -- I guess by response
parameters. So, although two hrefs in *.html files of two different
backends a.net, b.net may be identical -- say 'page.html', the browser
will glue it

a.net ++ / ++ page.html -> a.net/page.html
b.net ++ / ++ page.html -> b.net/page.html

To my impression, mod_proxy_html & mod_substitute replace the *relative
href path* part, i.e.,

a.net ++ / ++ wiki/page.html

as explained, this is problematic.

What I am rather looking for is a substitution of the *response
parameter path*, i.e.,

a.net/wiki ++ / ++ page.html

As this appears much simpler, I guess it might exist. Any ideas?

Thanks a lot, again,

Posted by Devraj Mukherjee <de...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.

--
Nick Kew

Available for work, contract or permanent.
http://www.webthing.com/~nick/cv.html