Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com> on 2012/09/25 18:16:19 UTC

topic names again

There are a few issues related to topic names. First, we have some topic
specific metrics and jmx bean name has certain restrictions (e.g., no space
allowed and maybe others). Second, in 0.8, we have a file that stores high
watermarks. It's a simple text file and expects 1 line per topic/partition.
If topic name has '\r' or '\n', it could mess up the format of the file. A
simple solution is to restrict topic names to ASCII alpha-numeric
characters (plus _ and -) in 0.8. We can try to relax it in the future.
Anybody has concerns with this?

Thanks,

Jun

Re: topic names again

Posted by Swapnil Ghike <sg...@linkedin.com>.
We are patching 0.8 to allow only ASCII alpha-numeric characters, plus _
and - in topic names. Plus the maxTopicNameLength is being hardcoded to
255 chars. The patch is at KAFKA-495.

Thanks,
Swapnil

Re: topic names again

Posted by Joe Stein <cr...@gmail.com>.

Re: topic names again

Posted by Jay Kreps <ja...@gmail.com>.
I have no objection, though it may be no harder just to escape the
newlines. I agree it is probably better to start strict if we aren't sure.

-Jay