Posted to user@hive.apache.org by "vengatesh.babu" <ve...@zohocorp.com> on 2015/01/07 07:16:39 UTC

Hive Query o/p to HDFS as CSV file

Hi,

I want to write hive query output into HDFS file in CSV Format( comma separated).

For LOCAL DIRECTORY:

INSERT OVERWRITE LOCAL DIRECTORY '/home/test/result/'
ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS TERMINATED BY ','
SELECT * from table;

Above Works fine and writes output of query as CSV Format in local directory.

For HDFS:

INSERT OVERWRITE DIRECTORY '/home/test/result/'
SELECT * from table;

output written to the HDFS is serialized as text with columns separated by ^A and rows separated by newlines.

(NOTE : ROW FORMAT DELIMITED FIELDS  ---- Not supported for above query)

Is there any way to write hive query output in HDFS directory as CSV file(comma separated)

Thanks
Vengatesh Babu K M

Re: Hive Query o/p to HDFS as CSV file

Posted by Jason Dere <jd...@hortonworks.com>.
A workaround might be to create an external table with the correct format, insert overwrite into the external table, then drop the external table (which I think shouldn't delete the directory)

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Hive Query o/p to HDFS as CSV file

Posted by "vengatesh.babu" <ve...@zohocorp.com>.