Posted to dev@flink.apache.org by Nam-Luc Tran <na...@euranova.eu> on 2015/06/15 15:53:07 UTC

Iteration stats logging

Hello Everyone,

I would like to log certain stats during iterations in a bulk
iterative job. The way I do this is store the things I want at each
iteration and plan to flush everything to HDFS once all the iterations
are done. To do that I would need to know when the last iteration is
invoked in order to flush the data. However, the close() method in the
RichMapFunction is executed at the end of each iteration.

Is there anyway to know when I am in the last invocation? Or would you
have a better suggestion to achieve what I am trying to do?

Thank you and best regards,

Tran Nam-Luc

Re: Iteration stats logging

Posted by Ufuk Celebi <uc...@apache.org>.
Hey Tran Nam-Luc,

there is currently no way to do this.

The iteration sync tasks keeps track of iteration convergence/max number of iterations and signals termination to the iteration head. After this, the head flushes the produced result to the next task (after the iteration) and the intermediate iteration tasks finish w/o calling close again.

Because there is no "final" no-op iteration happening, the iteration tasks don't know when the last iteration happened.

I'm not sure what the best way is to implement this at the moment.

What kind of stats are you recording?

– Ufuk