Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> on 2005/11/14 16:57:00 UTC

How to turn the Digester off?

Hi all,
     Is there a way to turn off the Digester so that
it does not parse the web.xml at all?

Thanks In Advance
Anita

Re: How to turn the Digester off?

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
You need to create your Context without creating the associated
ContextConfig.  This rules out using Embedded.createContext and JMX
embedding.

Tomcat usually doesn't run very well without ContextConfig, so Geronimo will
have to duplicate much of the functionality that is there.

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.

--- anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>     Yes, currently Geronimo does that for its other
> web-container. I am trying to do the same for Tomcat.

When a web.xml is digested, a lot of objects internal to Tomcat are created.
There's stuff liek servlet mapping, initialization of various Listeners, etc.
For Geronimo to do all this on behalf of Jetty seems to me to be somewhat
invasive.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Remy Maucherat <re...@apache.org>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Sriram N <sr...@yahoo.com>.
Hi Anita,

--- anita kulshreshtha <a_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>      Is there a way to turn off the Digester so that
> it does not parse the web.xml at all?

Digester parses web.xml and creates a hierarchy of objects per web application
context. This is a necessary part of deploying a Web Application in Tomcat.

What exactly do you wish to accomplish by turning off the web.xml parsing ?

> Thanks In Advance
> Anita

-- Sriram